Mike Pence blocked health officials from going on CNN to pressure the network to air Trump's full coronavirus briefings

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Vice President Mike Pence briefly blocked the US's top public-health officials from appearing on CNN over the past week in an effort to pressure the cable news network to air President Donald Trump's White House coronavirus briefings in their entirety, CNN's Oliver Darcy reported Thursday.

CNN is one of several networks that often cut away from the briefings to fact-check the president's statements and don't always air the full events, which can last a few hours. Trump regularly makes false or misleading claims in the briefing room about the pandemic.

"When you guys cover the briefings with the health officials then you can expect them back on your air," a representative for Pence told CNN.

CNN reported that those officials included the coronavirus task force members Drs. Deborah Birx and Anthony Fauci, Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn, and Surgeon General Jerome Adams. CNN said the president had also refused all of its requests for an interview during the health crisis.

https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/c...ing-health-officials-from-going-on-cnn-2020-4

Hijinx

IF Pence stopped Birx and Faucci, Hahn and Adams he had good reason.
If they covered Trump's Briefings they would already hear what these people had to say and they couldn't use another broadcast in their network to put words in their mouths.
If they don't cover Trump's conferences why would they want him to appear before their cut throat interviewers to be badgered.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They shouldn't be going on TV anyway. They should fill us in at the pressers, then STFU. Fauci in particular is running around like JLo, flipping his hair and checking his makeup, kissing ass with the newsbots. I'm sick of it.

Chris0nllyn

IF Pence stopped Birx and Faucci, Hahn and Adams he had good reason.
If they covered Trump's Briefings they would already hear what these people had to say and they couldn't use another broadcast in their network to put words in their mouths.
If they don't cover Trump's conferences why would they want him to appear before their cut throat interviewers to be badgered.
They shouldn't be going on TV anyway. They should fill us in at the pressers, then STFU. Fauci in particular is running around like JLo, flipping his hair and checking his makeup, kissing ass with the newsbots. I'm sick of it.

What a time to be alive. Conservatives advocating for the government to be the only source of info. What could go wrong with that? I mean, it's not like Trump has ever lied, we can trust him to tell us the truth and not be worried about something like a re-election, right?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What a time to be alive. Conservatives advocating for the government to be the only source of info. What could go wrong with that? I mean, it's not like Trump has ever lied, we can trust him to tell us the truth and not be worried about something like a re-election, right?

WTF are you talking about? Nobody is stifling the press, they can still report all the bullshit speculation and lies they want.

You are aware, of course, that Trump's part of the daily briefings is, um, brief, right? And that the majority of it is the health people and various other official entities giving information? And reporters asking retarded questions of them?

Or don't you actually watch and just rely on Morning Joe to tell you what happened?

I swear you say these stupid things just to piss me off.

SamSpade

And reporters asking retarded questions of them?

Heck, half the time, they're not really asking questions at all - they're making long-winded STATEMENTS - and ask for comment.

Although I'm getting more peeved at the vague call to authority like "people are saying" or this is upsetting some people -

On the podium they should answer - well - WHO? Was this an article or study? Because it sounds made up.

I generally feel the same way when ANY politician uses the phrase "the American people" - and then proceeds to tell me what they will think or do or react. As in, the American people will never put up with that - and I'm inclined to answer the TV "of course they will - they always have - stop projecting your ideas and trying to validate them by guessing what the population thinks".

That's what this stupid reporter stunt is - projecting their own thoughts and making the unproven case that a significant number of others feel the same. When they dispute the effectiveness of a drug by appealing to what some have said, they need to be called out for it. "Who says that? A medical professional, or your hairdresser?".

Chris0nllyn

Although I'm getting more peeved at the vague call to authority like "people are saying" or this is upsetting some people -

What's even more frustrating is the idea that Trump is doing something other than that very same thing. Why are the press held to some mythical higher standard than the President? Why is Trump allowed to just say what's on his mind and the only factual basis of those thoughts are "they say", or "people say"? It's not like it's anything new, but this is twice in two days I've seen someone make that argument.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's even more frustrating is the idea that Trump is doing something other than that very same thing. Why are the press held to some mythical higher standard than the President? Why is Trump allowed to just say what's on his mind and the only factual basis of those thoughts are "they say", or "people say"? It's not like it's anything new, but this is twice in two days I've seen someone make that argument.

OMG STFU. Just when I think you can't get any more ****ing retarded, you do.

You know what a news reporter is supposed to do, right? Or do you think they exist solely to manipulate weak minds such as your own with their asinine opinions?

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

People are not advocating for Government to be the only source of informatioon.
In fact if you have been watching the news it is the networks who are in favor of stifling the President and not allowing him to be a source.
CNN wants these people who are being interviewed with Trump to appear on their network alone so they can ask stupid gotcha questions.
They are certainly allowed to answer any legitimate question during the Presser. Why don't they?
They feel that if they can get these guys alone they can trick them into statements that are harmful to the President.

No one is advocating for the Government to be the only source of information. They get their chance for all of the 23 hours that the President is not in his presser, and they take undue advantage of it.

Bushy23

Trump: What do you have to lose? And a lot of people are saying that, and are taking it. If you’re a doctor or a nurse, a first responder, a medical person going into hospitals, they say taking it before the fact is good.

* Given the surge in eBay sales of chloroquine phosphate, and the anecdotal reports in Arizona and Nigeria of patients poisoning themselves by self-administering chloroquine formulations, there’s concern throughout the public health community that Trump’s exhortations to try the drug could do more harm than good. Of course, Trump isn’t encouraging self-medication, telling Americans instead to “go through your medical people.”

So what do the medical people say? Jeremy Faust, an emergency physician at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, has attempted to caution against the idea of hydroxychloroquine as a preventive medication. He tweeted Sunday: “Patients with lupus, arthritis, other conditions are already on hydroxychloroquine. And we are diagnosing them with Covid-19 LEFT AND RIGHT.”