Mike Rowe: The college admissions scandal is 'outrageous,' but...

transporter

I always despised this and spurious certification requirements ..... I've got 18 yrs experience someone I talked to recently in a phone interview

'would you be willing to get a A+ in 6 months if hired'

Umm WTF did you NOT understand about 18 yrs experience

so I looked at Comp TA's web site .... and spent 2 days taking a collection on on line practice tests

NOTHING I took and any of the tests would have added ANYTHING to my répertoire in trouble shooting computers

What do you learn in an A+ certification program?

A+ certification programs typically focus on the skills required for entry-level PC technicians. Students learn about installing, configuring, upgrading and repairing PCs. At New Horizons, the IT training company, a five-day or 10-day course includes instruction in computer architecture, memory, modems, printers, hard disk setup and operating system optimization.

If you are SOOOOO wonderful and such a master of your universe comrade, why are you working for others??? Why are you out hustling for a job????

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

--- End of line (MCP)

officeguy

In the 50s one parent could work and provide for an entire family. That’s not possible these days either. Well it is, but certainly not the norm.

Yet the standard of living those single income working class families used to have in the 50s would be considered abject poverty today.

TCROW

Yet the standard of living those single income working class families used to have in the 50s would be considered abject poverty today.

Perhaps in absolute dollars, but if you control for inflation and compare to a constant dollar value, I’d bet this is not an accurate statement.

It’d be a tall order to demonstrate though because you’d have to account for Bretton Woods

officeguy

With some kids in the extended family going through the system right now, I can tell you that those surveys are meaningless. Lesser known private colleges like to give themselves an air of exclusivity with their 60 and 70,000 tuition sticker price, yet once you apply they offer deep discounts on the sticker price. The only thing separating private colleges from carpet salesmen is that they dont usually run 'going out of business sales'. Public universities will only discount for in-state residents of the right ethnicity. The large 'household name' private universities don't discount either. 'The price is the price'.

officeguy

Perhaps in absolute dollars, but if you control for inflation and compare to a constant dollar value, I’d bet this is not an accurate statement.

Those single income families had 1 TV with 3 programs, a single car and the houses had 400sf living space per person. Kids had to share rooms and food was something that you cooked, not ordered from 'UberEats'. If homes had air-conditioning, it was a window-shaker in the parents bedroom.

I am not talking absolute dollars, I am talking about standard of living. The 980sf house for a family of four or five that was the rule back then will get you a social service referral today. Married women didn't stay at home because they loved the wholesome idea of housewifedom, they stayed at home because employers wouldn't hire them.

TCROW

Those single income families had 1 TV with 3 programs, a single car and the houses had 400sf living space per person. Kids had to share rooms and food was something that you cooked, not ordered from 'UberEats'. If homes had air-conditioning, it was a window-shaker in the parents bedroom.

I am not talking absolute dollars, I am talking about standard of living. The 980sf house for a family of four or five that was the rule back then will get you a social service referral today. Married women didn't stay at home because they loved the wholesome idea of housewifedom, they stayed at home because employers wouldn't hire them.

Sure. But all of that depends on the value of money.

nutz

Married women didn't stay at home because they loved the wholesome idea of housewifedom, they stayed at home because employers wouldn't hire them.
That isn’t exactly right. some like my mother, chose to raise their family. And by some miraculous method, we even had vacations in the Adirondacks, Eastern Shore, Tenn and Florida. None of the kids got student loans, but all have at least a Bachelors. Our tuition and books were paid, deal was we had to have jobs to pay for expenses.
The standard of living was not oppulent but sufficient. No one needs a 4000+ sq. ft. house but there are plenty around here, some which don’t have furniture or got it all from Bob’s.

Last edited:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Oldest son decided to join the Navy as a 6th grader - hated school. Had to drag him through HS by his ear.

Spent 5 Yrs in the Navy. Loved the travel, found the BS of the hierarchy irritating. When his hitch was up, moved with his family to his wife's hometown. Went to work for a small welding company.

After a year, decided to use that GI Bill, spent 5 yrs in college while working part time and raising a family. Came out with an Engineering degree in Welding, little shop gave him a raise and lots of new responsibility. In 2 yrs he has doubled their workload, hired on a bunch of workers, tripled their profit, and made his boss very happy.

AND, my boy who hated school, accepted the offer of a part-time position at the college teaching the welding lab.

Next stop, opening his own business. Yes, college was involved, but not as a first option, and 5 yrs spent in the Navy paid for almost all of it.

Clem72

The large 'household name' private universities don't discount either. 'The price is the price'.

"Under the financial aid program, which Stanford expanded in 2015, Stanford will continue to provide free tuition for typical parents with incomes below $125,000. Typical parents with incomes below $65,000 are not expected to pay tuition, mandatory fees, room or board."
-Stanford Registrar's Office, Trustee Statement for 2017-2018 School Year

officeguy

"Under the financial aid program, which Stanford expanded in 2015, Stanford will continue to provide free tuition for typical parents with incomes below $125,000. Typical parents with incomes below $65,000 are not expected to pay tuition, mandatory fees, room or board."
-Stanford Registrar's Office, Trustee Statement for 2017-2018 School Year

You succeessfully picked out the exception to the entire tuition racket . But then, what is Stanford's admission rate ? Right, it's so low they stopped reporting it alltogether.

Using stanford as an example is the equivalent of telling a parent in peewee soccer that their kid is guaranteed free college on a football scholarship.

Last edited: