Mike Shanahan out as Broncos coach

BuddyLee

Football addict
Shocking but not a terrible move.

Teams have a lot of tendencies to key on with Shanahan over the years.

However, I think he got a raw deal this year.

7 running backs on IR. 5+ different safety tandems. 5+ different linebacker tandems. Recipe for disaster.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Shocking but not a terrible move.

Teams have a lot of tendencies to key on with Shanahan over the years.

However, I think he got a raw deal this year.

7 running backs on IR. 5+ different safety tandems. 5+ different linebacker tandems. Recipe for disaster.

7 RBs on IR and they still had a decent running attack. They had Cutler at QB, who will improve, and Shanahan's knack for always having a good OL and running game regardless of the RB. Next season you keep the good QB and probably lose the OL and running game, while STILL not improving any more on defense than had Shanahan stayed. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Shanahan was an offensive coordinator and Denver's offense was #2 in the league this season in total yards, which shows how well teams could coach against his "tendencies". Granted, their scoring was only middle of the league, but they had to go further on most drives since their defense was one of the worst in the league. They needed a new defensive coordinator and maybe someone else picking personnel for the defense, but there's no need for a new head coach. And firing him without giving him any inkling that it was coming? What good head coach would go there? That's messed up.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Is it just me, or does it seem like NFL owners fired coaches a lot more frequently than they did 10 or 15 years ago.

BuddyLee

Football addict
7 RBs on IR and they still had a decent running attack. They had Cutler at QB, who will improve, and Shanahan's knack for always having a good OL and running game regardless of the RB. Next season you keep the good QB and probably lose the OL and running game, while STILL not improving any more on defense than had Shanahan stayed. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Shanahan was an offensive coordinator and Denver's offense was #2 in the league this season in total yards, which shows how well teams could coach against his "tendencies". Granted, their scoring was only middle of the league, but they had to go further on most drives since their defense was one of the worst in the league. They needed a new defensive coordinator and maybe someone else picking personnel for the defense, but there's no need for a new head coach. And firing him without giving him any inkling that it was coming? What good head coach would go there? That's messed up.

Any head coach would go there because it's the best possible job. You can instantly win in that division. You have a potent offense with great weapons.

Shanahan is a great coach but even the great ones get fired a la Landry, Johnson, and so on. His tendencies may have led him to one of the best passing attacks (in yards) this season. They also didn't equate to the most important stat, wins. Three years in a row without playoffs. Every coach has tendencies, some hide them better with superb players.