Military brats, share your stories

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was NOT a military brat. But my kids are. I did 5 tours in 4 different places, 2 overseas locations.

I come from a large family. 7 kids. 2 went into the service and the rest stayed very close to home. A few imagine that somehow my kids were harmed or disadvantaged by us having to move every couple of years. It's not like the family changed, just the location of where we lived was different.

So do you wish that you had stayed in the same location while growing up?

My son is fairly resilient. He speaks 3 languages and attended some middle and high school at an Italian language school. His idea of a vacation is to backpack across Thailand or hike up Mt Kilimanjaro. So I'm not so sure where the angst enters into the equation.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I'm a USCG brat and retired Air Force. I wasn't fond of the moving every few years, new schools, new neighborhoods, but we adjusted quick enough only to move again. I was one of 2 Americans born in Greenland at LORAN station in a small fishing village, from there we moved to Norfolk, VA; Governors Island, NY; Woods Hole, MA (Otis AFB housing) and my dad retired.

I have no kids, so no one was subject to my 3 moves in 22yrs of service, lol- Loring AFB, ME, NAS Kevlavik, Iceland, and Andrews AFB, MD.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am Navy Brat! Born in Ohio, where my dad's family lived. He had gone out to sea for 9 months (back then) and my mom loved with his parents. After i was born, my mom, we went south ro AL where I was Christened amongst her side if the family.

My dad was stationed along the east coast for the 3-1/2 years between me (Akron, OH) my brother (Lakehurst, NJ) & sister (Pax River, MD in 1962). Then, we also lived in Norfolk VA, and again in Lakehurst before being transferred to Naples, Italy in Feb. 1967. We lived there for a glorious and long time of 5-1/2 years before returning to Norfolk in 1972. He retired in 1973, and we moved to Scranton, PA - where I started 9th grade. My dad hated the weather - too much like his hometown of Akron, so we moved to St.Mary's County where we stayed put for 20 years. My parents moved to FL to be near my sis and her kids because her husband got transferred there. My brother (also Navy)and I eventually migrated there. (I married a Navy guy and we ended up down there, as well).

I moved back to this area when I got divorced, because I had a full time job offer

I wouldn't trade my childhood experiences for anything else in the world. I loved living in Naples Italy we had a blast. We got to learn about the culture - I saw things that kids my age never got to see and I made long-time friends.

catlingirl

I was a USCG military brat and when we moved to Sheffield Lake, Ohio from Novato, (Hamilton AFB) California back in the 70’s, the kids there said I was backwards and had an accent. And they kept saying that Ca was going to fall into the ocean. We only moved a couple of times, basically back to the same base we moved from when we moved to Ohio. I had some friends but never kept in touch after moving. The hardest part was moving my junior year of high school after my dad retired. We moved to Oregon then. I ended up joining the military as did my oldest brother.I ended up at Andrews AFB but got out after only 3 years and ended up in Calvert in August 2001. My kids have lived in basically one town growing up. But my oldest did join the Air Force and was in for about 3 years. He was able to be stationed in Germany. Sorry got to rambling. Lol

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Dad was Army. I was #3 of seven. We were born in Ft Dix, NJ (two older sisters 1951 1nd 1952), Fort Meade, MD (me and a younger sister 1954, 1955), Ft Belvoir, VA (two younger brothers1959, 1961) and Fort Sill, OK (baby sister 1966). Lived in Baltimore, Ft Meyer, VA, Pennsylvania, Germany for four years, Oklahoma for 7 years, and the younger ones at Kirkland AFB in Albuquerque, NM. I grew up in Lawton, OK at Fort Sill, 7-12 grades (1966-1972, when I joined the Navy right out of high school. A good nomadic life for kids, really hard on my mom. We would not trade any bit of it for anything else.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Almost one...my dad was in the USAF when I was born.
He did not get to see or hold me until I was 4 months old, after he was discharged in July 1957.
Last time before that, he was home for Christmas 1956, and I was a baby bump.

WingsOfGold

Yes and no. Navy brat for 19 years. Moved every three years w/o fail. Sink or swim each and every time you moved to another school and to this day I think that's why I'm so weird and my family so dysfunctional . I envy each and every person who has lived in Saint Mary's county their entire lives because I love this place and I love the locals. Take that steppinthrax.

On the flip side, when I was out on my own and able to settle, I hated it and that's what enticed me to join the Navy - I wanted to keep moving. I can't change what my life is but I don't regret it. I learned American History first hand when we lived up north and the Civil War when we lived down south. I've been to places in this country I probably would otherwise have never seen. I am astonished when people tell me they have never swum in the ocean because in the Navy we were always stationed where we only a block or two away. I loved the winters up north and the heat in Key West. Yes really we were on the beach in Quonset huts. I like the wildlife I never would have seen if it were not for moving and all the things my dad was able to teach me in different places we lived.

It was a great life.
Wow, how cool would THAT have been?! Growing up in and around NAS Boca Chica! I guess I was about 16 or 17 when my father (a WW2 Bombardier) resigned his commission. Even then I understood his move having had his bird being shot up over Germany so I doubt he wanted it again over VN. Matter of fact I even thanked him when I came home at a party he threw for me at the local VFW with family and friends.
You, OTOH while I never gave much thought to Florida but as a kid in retrospect that would have REALLY been a kick in the ass.... as long as he bought you a motorcycle and a runabout! :D I imagine there might be better places stateside but right now I can't think of one having experienced a few days here and there TAD (traveling around drunk) at Sloppy Joe's and other fine establishments!

I was a Navy brat. We moved every three years.
I wasn't a fan of leaving my friends every three years. I did enjoy living in Sicily from 10-13 years old.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was a Navy brat. We moved every three years.
I wasn't a fan of leaving my friends every three years. I did enjoy living in Sicily from 10-13 years old.
Because they showed some titties on local TV?

I remember a certain Italian shampoo ad on TV. Naked young woman in the shower shown from the waist up. That would be the #1 shampoo in the US with that sort of advertising.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Because they showed some titties on local TV?

I remember a certain Italian shampoo ad on TV. Naked young woman in the shower shown from the waist up. That would be the #1 shampoo in the US with that sort of advertising.
There'd be a lot of "What shampoo?"