Military chow

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm sure a bunch of people on here ate at a chow hall/galley/dining facility/DFAC at some point in time. What were some things you ate there that you never ate before? In boot camp in Sand Diego they served us fried rabbit a few times. I had never had it before. And I was pretty hungry all the time, so I ate whatever they served. A lot of people never had sos or grits before. 1 meal we had was basically pepper steak with spaghetti mixed in with it. Turns out that was the military version of beef yakisoba. Stuffed pork chops was a grilled chop topped with a green pepper slice and a scoop of bread stuffing. More like a chop with stuffing than a stuffed chop. In the Navy, sailors often complained about the chow, in between forkfulls of food. Yet nobody seemed to lose much weight.

Here's a link to all the recipes used by military dining facilities - Recipes

black dog

Free America
SOS made with ground beef.
It is in the Corps...
My kid has never really complained about chow wherever hes has been sent.
He liked SOI at Camp Geiger and Camp Foster chow the best, hes heading out to Okinawa and Japan for deployment again in the morning.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Never ate so many chicken tenders than when I go on an aircraft carrier.

I've always been spoiled by the quality of the chow I've had while underway (sea trials...never deployed for any length of time), with a couple exceptions and both of those were smaller USN vessels. When underway with the Swedish and Norwegian navy vessels, the chow is real cuisine.

PeoplesElbow

I've always been spoiled by the quality of the chow I've had while underway (sea trials...never deployed for any length of time), with a couple exceptions and both of those were smaller USN vessels. When underway with the Swedish and Norwegian navy vessels, the chow is real cuisine.
Most I've been on a carrier is two weeks and it is usually fairly empty. Chow on a USNS boat is usually pretty good.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The worst thing the USCG did regarding food was pulling all the active-duty folks (I think the rating name changed three times during my 20-yrs) out of the shoreside galleys and replacing them with civilian contractors.

Grumpy

The worst thing the USCG did regarding food was pulling all the active-duty folks (I think the rating name changed three times during my 20-yrs) out of the shoreside galleys and replacing them with civilian contractors.
Wondered what happened to all the lunch ladies.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
oh..and the Germans..dang that was great duty. Sea trials went like this, operating from a small seaside resort town on the Baltic:

1. Get up and be served a nice breakfast at the lovely and quaint B&B the shipyard put us all up in.
  2. Roll up to ship around 0900. Help load canisters of hot soup or stew, pallets of bread, coolers filled with all manner of cold cuts, salads etc. And beer..cases and cases of beer.
  3. Get underway at 1000. Run a couple procedures in the test matrix. Lie dead in the water for a couple hours to consume food and beer.
  4. Run another procedure. Look at the time..."OMG..almost beer thirty at the open bar in the B&B!" Head in.
  5. Tie up and secure ship. Unload empty food containers. Hustle over to B&B to get there right when the hostess opens the beer taps around 1600.
  6. Get about half lit before an awesome home-cooked meal was served all hands, family style, around 1800. (This where I was first introduced to a local delicacy that's to die for..."albino" asparagus in cheese sauce)
  7. Hit the local night clubs and watch ship's German crew start fist fights with the locals.
  8. Stumble home and pass out around 0100.
Wash, rinse, repeat. Good times. I think SGI was stuck in some hole in Hong Kong about the same time frame...LOL.

Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Now the food on the Fincantieri sea trials... 🤤

Oh yeah..I never got to attend trials at Fincantieri.

And had plenty of the "box lunches" when we'd stay out for extended periods on that Chinese SWATH in South China Sea. Wasn't all that bad actually.

I'll never forget though..the long stretch that Cowboy and I (and later Dan too) had at the SEMO shipyard "hotel" in Bungfuk Nowhere, South Korea. It became a running joke: Cowboy, in his very strong Carolina hillbilly accent: " Gee, Mr Beel...whatcha think we're having for lunch today?" Me: "I dunno Cowboy..maybe rice?" "Gee Mr. Beel, whatcha think we're having for dinner today?" Me: "I dunno Cowboy..maybe rice?" " Gee, Mr Beel...whatcha think we're having for breakfast today?" Me: "I dunno Cowboy..maybe rice?"

I was always right. 😕

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm sure a bunch of people on here ate at a chow hall/galley/dining facility/DFAC at some point in time. What were some things you ate there that you never ate before? In boot camp in Sand Diego they served us fried rabbit a few times. I had never had it before. And I was pretty hungry all the time, so I ate whatever they served. A lot of people never had sos or grits before. 1 meal we had was basically pepper steak with spaghetti mixed in with it. Turns out that was the military version of beef yakisoba. Stuffed pork chops was a grilled chop topped with a green pepper slice and a scoop of bread stuffing. More like a chop with stuffing than a stuffed chop. In the Navy, sailors often complained about the chow, in between forkfulls of food. Yet nobody seemed to lose much weight.

Here's a link to all the recipes used by military dining facilities - Recipes
I was on a sub tender (AS-40) for a while, it was my first experience with lumpia. I could kiss those Filipino MS’s for turning me on to those.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was on a sub tender (AS-40) for a while, it was my first experience with lumpia. I could kiss those Filipino MS’s for turning me on to those.
The deck hands on most of the crew vessels we support are Filipino. They do cook up some good eats, even on those small vessels.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I went to a USAF tech school at Goodfellow AFB, TX for re-training in late 1989, I noticed most of ou Mess Stewards were Filipino.
It was good food and I gained so much weight in a short time that my 1st sergeant put me on the USAF fat boy program.

• Wow
Reactions: BOP