Military ID's for Dependants who are 21?

Restless

Hello! I thought I would ask this question here rather than trying to hunt down phone numbers for the right place to call on base. Honestly, I have called the ID office in the past and been to the office in person three different times because I was told over the phone and in person different documents required, etc. So frustrating. Anyway, our daughter just turned 21 and her ID card expired on that day. Since she is still a dependent and lives at home while finishing up college, can she still get an ID card or is 21 the cut off date?

Thanks for the information!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
This should help:

http://www.military.com/spouse/military-life/military-resources/military-dependent-id-cards.html

DD Form 1173 generally expires four years from date of issue or expiration of a sponsor's obligated service.

ID cards must be surrendered when they are replaced or expired or upon demand of a commissioned or noncommissioned officer or security or military police acting in the performance of duty or when the cardholder becomes ineligible. Eligible dependents are generally defined as:

Lawful spouse
Unremarried surviving spouse
Unmarried children (including adopted or stepchildren) who are:
Under 21 years of age.
Over 21 but incapable of self-support (Substantiating documentation is required).
Over 21 but under 23 who are attending an approved learning institution as a full time student (Documentaion is required).

SG_Player1974

This should help:
Over 21 but under 23 who are attending an approved learning institution as a full time student (Documentaion is required).

I love it!

The Government and O-bamy says I gotta keep my kids on my Health Insurance until they are 26..... BUT.....

Once they turn 23... they are off the Gov teet??!!!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Hello! I thought I would ask this question here rather than trying to hunt down phone numbers for the right place to call on base. Honestly, I have called the ID office in the past and been to the office in person three different times because I was told over the phone and in person different documents required, etc. So frustrating. Anyway, our daughter just turned 21 and her ID card expired on that day. Since she is still a dependent and lives at home while finishing up college, can she still get an ID card or is 21 the cut off date?

Thanks for the information!

Mine expired at 21. Since I was still in college at the time, that meant I was still a dependent of my father, so I had to renew it and when I turned 23 it was no longer accepted. I miss being able to use it :ohwell:

Restless

Thank you for your responses. Now I know. My daughter is happy now because she is still in school full time and loves those base privileges! Thanks again!

GW8345

Not White House Approved
As others has stated, since she is a full time student, she can have an ID until she turns 23. You will need a letter from her school showing that she is enrolled as a full time student, if she is in between semesters have the school do a letter that shows her next semesters courses.

Just went through the same thing with Thing 1, got his ID card done up until he's 23, after that he better have a job and his own health care or he's SOL.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
MY son, (Thing1) is 23, disabled, and his father (the military retiree) let his ID/Benefits expire when he turned 21. I had explained to my EX (well before our son was going to turn 21) that he needed to go to PSD and make sure that the DEERS eligibility didn't end or Thing1 would lose his benefits. He didn't do that, and now, 2 years later, I am still waiting for him to file this paperwork to get the benefits reinstated.

I had the DEERS eligibility reinstatement added to my Modification of Child Support order this year when I took the Ex to court. The court not only awarded Thing1 (Adult Disabled) Child Support - but also ordered that the EX make sure the DEERS eligibility/heathcare benefits are reinstated. Enforcing that aspect of the court order will be interesting, because I haven't seen any paperwork yet.

Moral of the story - don't let the benefits expire!