Military memes

WingsOfGold

Yeah, same wrt tinnitus. I can't hardly hear out of my left ear, and the tinnitus is worse in that one. Sometimes it wakes me up in the wee hours, not that I wasn't already chronically sleep-deprived. I listen to rain on youtube a lot of nights, and that does seem to keep my inner noise to a manageable level. Youtube normally times out after x-number of songs, but it'll play a single song that's 3-hours or longer just fine, 9 times out of 10.
Oh, and phuck the VA.

Besides, I did okay for myself as far as savings and all that, so more for the guys and gals who really need it. Including the ones with all the flight gear, but no rating.

The two AME's I use for examples both retired as AME1's and are retired from other jobs. That means reg retirement, SS, 100% E6 disability tax free and their second careers. Friends I guess so but they have fewer scruples than I.

Reactions: BOP

PeoplesElbow

The two AME's I use for examples both retired as AME1's and are retired from other jobs. That means reg retirement, SS, 100% E6 disability tax free and their second careers. Friends I guess so but they have fewer scruples than I.
What about someone that became depressed after their wife left them and get 100% and brag about it...

• Wow

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Dat phunee!

The Mrs and I were at Eglin when the USAF was testing improved shells for the GAU-8 back in the early 80's.

The firing point was actually aiming across one of the main roads, into the armament lab's target bunker.

Red lights and siren would go off, railroad gates would come down across the road, whistle blast, herd of elephants farting in sequence, all clear would sound, lights went off, the gates went up.

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I have no clue of how to go about it with the VA.
1 of the service organizations can help you begin the process. The DAV or Legion can help you. Good luck.
Sorry to be late to the party, but Monello is absolutely correct. Get one of the nat svc organizations to help you.

I used DAV. Full disclosure: I'm a lifetime member. Having said that, while I'm VERY grateful for DAV's help when I had to go to Baltimore for a hearing the office DAV big shot there asked me if I was a member and pretty much stated that he wouldn't be too thrilled with helping me if I wasn't. I was pretty pissed, to be honest, though I kept my tongue b/c I needed his help (I was already a lifetime member and that's all I said). So that's my "disappointment" with DAV; otherwise, they've been very, very helpful.

Why? Because the system is stacked against you. VA C&P is designed to wear you down and get you to self-select out of the disability ratings process. So a service organization is, to my mind, an absolute must. I couldn't have gotten my (very legitimate, but complicated) 100% without DAV's help; I was too broken down, too dispirited, and too overwhelmed by "all of it" during the five years it took to finally get my rating.

Doesn't cost you anything to have a svc org work up your file though you may get the hard sell as the process moves forward to support the org you pick. I've heard good things about quite a few of the nat svc orgs, but also have found that it is VERY dependent on where you live. The DAV chapter here in SoMD is good, but wasn't/isn't where an acquaintance of mine lived when he needed help for his C&P process. I've heard the same about others. The American Legion seems to get mostly top marks wherever it is from my limited experience.

Yup, Monello is absolutely correct. And once you get started, don't give up. Games will be played by them on you; use that svc org to turn the tables!

Cheers, my friend. And best wishes.

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

limblips

There is a guy that hangs out at the pub I frequent. He is constantly telling vets about making sure they get documentation for all of their ills. He tells them how he draws 100% disabilty. This has been going on for years. A year or so I asked him what rank he retired at. He replied he didn't retire, he spent just under a year in the Army in Germany but hurt his back jumping off a truck.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My brother (73) is a Vietnam vet with a piece of shrapnel in his neck. Navy doctors never removed the piece because it was too close to the spinal cord. I asked him why he wasn't able to use the local VA clinic. He told me that when he looked into it back in the 90's, especially after hearing buddies of his brag about all the free stuff they were getting. He was told that the VA put some deadline on when claims for disability could be filed, and that he missed that deadline.

Something just doesn't sound right about that. I've asked him if he's talked to a VVA Service Officer, but the nearest one is 50 miles away and my brother is not the type of person to go fighting for free stuff when he's still pretty healthy.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
(a) Something just doesn't sound right about that. (b) I've asked him if he's talked to a VVA Service Officer, but the nearest one is 50 miles away and my brother is (c) not the type of person to go fighting for free stuff when he's still pretty healthy.
(a) As best as I understand the process I went through, I agree; I don't think there is a deadline (at least, anymore).

(b) He can do it over the phone to get things started. Then once he settles on a Service Org he can download/have sent a Power of Attorney and send it to the Service Org to have the them take over. They may be able to request his records, but he also probably will have to gather up what he has to send on a copy to the Service Org.

(c) But - to me - it would be worth it as he might find he could use VA services (etc.) at some point down the road and there may come a time where he will be locked out.

Bottom line, I would highly encourage your brother to avail himself of at least a phone call or two.

--- End of line (MCP)