Military Retiree Pension

jrt_ms1995

Unless the state legislature goes along, there's nothing he can do about it, right? No "stroke of the pen" authority for a Republican governor in Maryland.

edinsomd

Doesn't matter to me. When I'm done here I am kicking the dust of Maryland from by boots at the Virginia state line, and heading South.

tommyjo

Sure...why doesn't everyone join the "47%"?

Why does retirement exempt one from contributing to society?

The author made this comment: "Maryland’s status as a retirement-unfriendly state deserves attention, given that retirees are a highly mobile group who draw lightly on public services."

Obviously the author is unaware of the burden Medicaid is on the states..."draw lightly"...wow...that is almost funny.

CrashTest

The author made this comment: "Maryland’s status as a retirement-unfriendly state deserves attention, given that retirees are a highly mobile group who draw lightly on public services."

Obviously the author is unaware of the burden Medicaid is on the states..."draw lightly"...wow...that is almost funny.
It's about promising people cool stuff in order to get elected. He stole a page from Barry's playbook.

mamatutu

mama to two
It's about promising people cool stuff in order to get elected. He stole a page from Barry's playbook.

Is that really fair? Hogan is not governor yet. Yes, it seems that both parties are in it for themselves, but let us at least give Hogan a chance. It can't hurt to be optimistic, right?

GW8345

Not White House Approved

So you are saying that military retiree's didn't contribute to society?

Funny how you liberals think handing out money to illegals who haven't done a damn thing for this country is a good thing but giving a break to a person who gave at least 20 years of their life to the defense of this country is a bad thing. Also, retiree's don't use Medicaid, they use Tricare and Tricare for Life. If you are so worried about people "contributing to society" why don't you stop all the welfare for illegals and people who don't work, at least the retiree's contributed more then you ever will to society, they were willing to give their lives for this country, what have you been willing to give?

Vince

So you are saying that military retiree's didn't contribute to society?

Funny how you liberals think handing out money to illegals who haven't done a damn thing for this country is a good thing but giving a break to a person who gave at least 20 years of their life to the defense of this country is a bad thing. Also, retiree's don't use Medicaid, they use Tricare and Tricare for Life. If you are so worried about people "contributing to society" why don't you stop all the welfare for illegals and people who don't work, at least the retiree's contributed more then you ever will to society, they were willing to give their lives for this country, what have you been willing to give?
:yeahthat: Also, I've put my 20 years in the military, and more than that, I still pay taxes until I can retire. Retirement means a fixed income with no pay raises. Like GW said, idiots like tommyjo would rather give away money to the welfare folks and illegals, but not for those of us that worked all our lives only to keep paying taxes after we retire.

yobear

There are many states that are far more military-retiree friendly. By not exempting military pensions we run the risk of more and more highly trained service members leaving our state. Let’s not forget that when a military member leaves the state we also lose out on a considerable amount of tax revenue (sales tax, gas tax, income tax from a second career, real-estate taxes.)

b23hqb

PREMO Member
All youse military retirees come on down heah to Florida. You'll just pay sales tax, federal tax, and property tax, like every other tax payer. Don't have any of that state income tax crap. We let all the visitors (about 100,000,000 a year) willingly pay for that.

Vince

There are many states that are far more military-retiree friendly. By not exempting military pensions we run the risk of more and more highly trained service members leaving our state. Let’s not forget that when a military member leaves the state we also lose out on a considerable amount of tax revenue (sales tax, gas tax, income tax from a second career, real-estate taxes.)
North Carolina does not tax military retirements, homes are cheaper, etc. I'm heading South as soon as I retire.

yobear

All youse military retirees come on down heah to Florida. You'll just pay sales tax, federal tax, and property tax, like every other tax payer. Don't have any of that state income tax crap. We let all the visitors (about 100,000,000 a year) willingly pay for that.

You, my friend, may be on to something....just returned from a 7 day trip to St. Augustine; after todays cold, windy, rainy day Im all ready thinking about my next trip down south!