Military - San Diego - Miramar Stables...bad news

devinej

Did you know about MCAS Miramar stables? Its on base. Here is their website MCCS Miramar Stables - which does not refect the current situation.

Here is a letter from a friend of mine who teaches riding lessons and boards horses there:

"Its pouring here again. At least water is vital for life. The pouring now is figuratively speaking. We at MCAS Miramar Stables received a letter on Good Friday that the gates will be locked July 1, 2008. There are currently 96 horses at the stables, of which 8 are mine and 5 others are ones I have in training, and two others I use for lessons. Many of the folks here are on deployment or will be leaving shortly. Most cannot afford to board at the local civilian stables, which are not so local in commute miles.

We have launched a full fledged fight to counter the base CO whom we feel made his decision to close the stables under false pretenses and fraudulent audits.

My first day off in approx 5 weeks was last Wednesday and all I did was search for a local and affordable places to move my horses to, to continue teaching and riding. I found nothing and, after a brief moment of panic, we decided to stick it out at the stables until the bitter end! Albeit I am aggressively preparing many for sale, which was my already proposed plan of action, that thankfully had already begun. I have sold/donated four horses this year alone! "

If any of you want to help with the situation, please offer advice, ideas, etc! PM if you want as well.

Duckz

Wow, that's really bad. Unfortunately most military bases have closed their stables...even Pax River used to have them back in the day. If I were them, I'd start sending letters to congressmen and raising holy hell to anyone who will listen. That's a LOT of horses to displace.

Meanwhile, start contacting ALL the local stables, horse people, tack shops, etc to raise awareness. Your friend might find that local stables are willing to offer discounts for boarders coming from base. People may also come forward offering to buy/adopt horses that their owners can't keep after the base stables close. Hell, go to the local newspapers, radio, tv stations about it. If this turns into a public relations nightmare for the base, the CO might back down.

Tell your friend good luck!!!

devinej

thanks i will forward this to her.

its incredible. the horse community should offer something back to these people because during the fires last fall...there were 2 horses in each stall because of how many they were fostering.

devinej

For anyone interested in helping:

Have Questions? Email these people:

1. Stephanie Brown- stbrownii@yahoo.com
2. Tim Jordan- tvjordan@san.rr.com
3. Marcy Millar- mmillar24@cox.net
4. Shannon Hurd- ahliafarms@gmail.com
5. Steve Livelsberger – slivel@earthlink.net
6. Trisha Thomas- bthomas17@san.rr.com
7. Tina Bergeron- tporche911@hotmail.com

PETITION TO SAVE MIRAMAR STABLES

April 3, 2008

The Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Miramar currently operates the Miramar Stables. Commanding Officer Colonel C.E. O’Connor sent a letter to Miramar stable boarders on March 20, 2008 stating his decision to close the stables by July 1, 2008. The CO cites that he cannot justify the continuing operating expenses in support of a very small segment of the MCAS Miramar Community. Miramar Stables provides a wonderful, family orientated facility, rich in tradition and historical significance to active duty military and their dependants, as well as retired military and the local communities. It has existed on its current site since 1958, and has been the center of military and civilian equestrian activities since the late 1800’s.

The stables are home to more than 90 horses & some goats. The facility was instrumental during both major fire events in the SD area, by providing food, water and shelter for many people and their livestock/family members. The facility can service comfortably over 100 horses.

Miramar Stables serves more than just the actual people who pay to board their horses at the facility. There are many people who benefit from the site that don’t have a horse of their own. For example, those who have a rigorous deployment cycle, those who can’t afford all the expense that comes with owning a horse, those who are in transition. These people are happy to take riding lessons, walk around and enjoy the atmosphere and many join with current boarders and help care for the animals along with the owners. A few local schools use the stables as part of their positive behavior rewards. The Flying Hooves Riding Club (FHRC) is a group of military boarders and non-boarders that promote social functions, equestrian activities and community outreach with Miramar Stables. The club has participated in local parades promoting the military, put on horse shows, free HORSEFEST events, and educational clinics for all ages and field trips to other horse related programs. Beyond the population that is served by Miramar Stables, there exists a potential for a variety of other programs that can be a positive advance in family readiness. These programs include, therapeutic riding for wounded warriors, the Single Marine program, and youth programs for the non-horse owners, which can expose young people to the wholesome world of equestrian life. These also promote a healthy lifestyle, appreciation of animals and the environment. With the encroachment of city and cement, the stables offers a ‘bit of country in the city’ itself.

There are so many reasons that Miramar stables should remain open. However, if none of the above sound reasonable to you, then why not think about the issue of blaming the victim. MCCS is blaming the boarders and ‘stable family’ for their mismanagement issues. They would rather see the current stable property turned into further parking lots than keep it open. Do you think that is right? If you would like to provide your support of this initiative and help energize our local congressman to help keep this valuable community asset alive, PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION AND INCLUDE your name, rank (if military) address and phone number.

Help us send a message that this space is more appreciated in its current state than as another parking lot or anything else. Don’t let this be one more reduction of services to our military community.

For more detailed information regarding this issue, please contact one or more of the following persons:

Stephanie Brown @ 619-838-2446 THANK YOU

Marcy Millar @ 858-518-4639

Tim Jordan @ 858-278-9698 Tina Bergeron@ 858-337-5350

Trisha Thomas @ 858-564-8286

Steve Livelsberger @ 858-549-3212

devinej

can send this to your congressmen, also, here's a list of san diego area congressmen:

Congressional District 50= Brian Bilbray 462 Stevens Ave Ste 107 Solana Beach, Ca 92075
County of SD Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Escondido, San Diego, San Marcos, Solana Beach, Fairbanks Ranch, Lake San Marcos, Rancho Santa Fe.

Congressional District 51= Bob Filner 333F Street Ste A Chula Vista, Ca 91910
Chula Vista, National City, San Diego, Bonita, La Presa

Congressional District 52= Duncan Hunter 1870 Cordell Ct. Ste 206 El Cajon, Ca 92020
El Cajon, La Mesa, Poway, San Diego, Santee, Alpine, Borrego Springs, Bostonia, Casa de Oro, Cresta, Granite Hills, Harbison Canyon, Jamul, Lakeside, La Presa, Pine Valley, Ramona, Rancho San Diego, San Diego Country Estates, Spring Valley, Winter Gardens

Congressional District 53= Susan Davis 4305 University Ave. Ste 515 San Diego, Ca 92105
Coronado, Imperial Beach, Lemon Grove, San Diego, La Presa

Dianne Feinstein Senator Dianne Feinstein
One Post Street, Suite 2450 United States Senate
San Francisco, Ca 94104 331 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Barbara Boxer Us Senator from California
San Diego
600 B Street Suite 2240 San Diego, Ca 92101
619-239-3884
FAX 619-239-5719