Millennialss in the Military vs Gen X

SamSpade

I find it interesting that the VERY same kinds of remarks launched at Gen X from Millennials were used by Gen X against Baby Boomers (my generation).

Some of us certainly remember young Gen X'ers who wanted to be running the show after a year on the job, who wanted the top dollar for their meager experience, who saw older generations as being cautious and not bold and gave no value to years of experience as opposed to what they saw as "results".

A former colleague of mine once made a correlation to wolf packs. It's not unusual for wolf packs to keep alive much older members of their pack even though simple Darwinian logic says they should kill them off. What people observed was that older wolves remembered previous hunting grounds and were tapped for their knowledge when current supplies got low. Packs that did NOT observe this pattern would frequently starve. That's not to say they observed packs keeping all the old wolves. Just that they survived by recognizing that wisdom had value.

When I was looking for a new job, I found a small number of outfits that valued older, more "seasoned" programmers over young hotshots brimming with the latest technology, but in part due to their experience in the industry - how things are done, valued practices, software engineering principles - techniques that produce reliable and robust product rather than ones with the latest stuff. I guess it depends on whether you're making a sports car that will be dead in five years or a Volvo that will run for 30.

It's just funny, to me. In the 90's, I saw some Gen X'ers come aboard, and within a month they declared they knew more than the boss and wanted a promotion. Most of them are gone.