Minors to Receive HIV-preventing Drug without Parental Consent

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The latest attack on parental rights?

Press release from 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East --- 1199seiu.org/maryland_dc

Maryland General Assembly Passes Legislation to Allow Minors to Receive HIV-preventing Drug without Parental Consent

Bill makes it easier for minors to access preventive treatment

Annapolis, MD - Today, the Maryland legislature acted to improve public health and disrupt Maryland's human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) rates by passing legislation that would allow doctors, nurse practitioners and physician assistants to prescribe a drug - pre-exposure prophylaxis, also known as "PrEP" - that helps prevent HIV to minors, without requiring parental consent. The House voted 109 to 21 in favor of the final bill (SB 251), sponsored by Senator Lam (District 12), which passed the Senate by a vote of 47 to 0 on March 13. The bill now goes to Governor Hogan for his signature.

Advocates say this bill will dramatically extend the lifespan of young black men, particularly those living in poverty. According to the Maryland Department of Health, about 74 percent of new diagnoses among youth were black.

"I treat teens who need the protection of PrEP to save their lives," said Dr. Raymona Smith, an 1199SEIU member. "Without this medicine, entire communities are at risk for an increased incidence of HIV disease. As a provider, when I must inform an adolescent that he or she is HIV positive, it's a sleepless night for me, and I can't imagine the impact on them."

PrEP consists of a single pill called Truvada taken every day. Truvada can reduce the risk of becoming infected with HIV from sex by 90 percent and among intravenous drug users by 70 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

On average, three people are diagnosed with HIV in Maryland every day. According to the CDC, Maryland has the second highest lifetime risk of HIV infection.

Advocates believe the legislation will help young people who want the drug but don't feel comfortable discussing sexual activity with their parents.

"While working as a therapist at Chase Brexton for over five years, I have witnessed the emotional impact on a young person who is newly diagnosed with HIV and the stigmas that often come with it," said Stacey Jackson-Roberts, 1199SEIU member who is a therapist and clinical social worker. "I have also seen the significant difficulty that many young people face in accessing preventative care, particularly having conversations with their parents or guardians about their sexual health. It is ideal that these conversations occur before HIV prevention medication is prescribed, but either way, social workers like me would still strive to do it after the fact. Protecting patients' lives is most urgent, followed by fostering a strong support network of family and mentors."

It is estimated that more than 50 percent of youth living with HIV in Maryland remain undiagnosed, which dramatically increases their risk of infecting others.

Maryland will join 17 other states who have passed similar legislation.

Last week, the House of Delegates voted 123-13 in favor of the House version of the bill, HB 1183 sponsored by Delegate Hill (District 12).

---

Advocates believe the legislation will help young people who want the drug but don't feel comfortable discussing sexual activity with their parents.
Sounds like maybe this is part of the root of the problem to begin with...

Chris0nllyn

I don't have an opinion one way or another on the medicine, but I am always curious who thinks up these sort of bills.

3 of the 4 bill sponsors' top donors are from the 1199 SEIU union.
$12,000 to Hayes https://www.followthemoney.org/entity-details?eid=6482273&default=candidate
$11,000 to Feldman https://www.followthemoney.org/entity-details?eid=4909168&default=candidate
$12,000 to Lam https://www.followthemoney.org/entity-details?eid=19907268&default=candidate
$1,000 to Kelley (4 of the top 7 donors to Kelley are medical companies) https://www.followthemoney.org/entity-details?eid=5089602&default=candidate

Auntie Biache'

There is no medication or vaccine that should be compulsory. None. And I'm sick of being told that the government can come into my personal life and make medical decisions for me. This gets worse with each passing day. More "slippery slope". Stand by. Your life is not your own.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is no medication or vaccine that should be compulsory. None. And I'm sick of being told that the government can come into my personal life and make medical decisions for me. This gets worse with each passing day. More "slippery slope". Stand by. Your life is not your own.

Not sure where you got compulsory in this? This is about teens less than 18 but engaged in sexual behavior that puts them at greater risk for HIV. This would allow such teens to seek and receive this medication to lessen the chance of getting HIV. The larger issues of sexuality in teens aside, I"m not seeing a huge issue with this. Since the teen would have to seek it out.

Auntie Biache'

Not sure where you got compulsory in this? This is about teens less than 18 but engaged in sexual behavior that puts them at greater risk for HIV. This would allow such teens to seek and receive this medication to lessen the chance of getting HIV. The larger issues of sexuality in teens aside, I"m not seeing a huge issue with this. Since the teen would have to seek it out.

No minor should receive any medicine, vaccine, or have any procedure done without the consent of the parent. And, it will become compulsory.

Midnightrider

exactly. These kids are either sexually active or IV drug users PLUS they are already at the doctor without their parents. I have no issue if they choose to get a vaccine

glhs837

Power with Control
No minor should receive any medicine, vaccine, or have any procedure done without the consent of the parent. And, it will become compulsory.

I can see your point, but might disagree for some cases, but your notion that it would become compulsory seems like s stretch, given it's specific to HIV prevention, and the behaviors that are high risk for HIV are not universally practiced.

Chris0nllyn

This is always a tough subject for me.

As a Libertarian, I think people should generally be left to make their own decisions. Generally, those decisions don't affect other people, but when they do, they become a problem. More often than not, the argument is about drug use. I'm okay with all drugs being legal but agree there should be consequences if your drug use cuases problems for others (i.e. stealing to maintain a habit, or crashing their car into someone, etc.).

Should one be forced to vaccinate their kids? What if your non-vaccinated kid gives my newborn measles? Should I rightfully be upset that your decision has now affected my family?

Makavide

Not too talkative
So if parents don't need to know about their children being prescribed drugs, who is going to pay the cost. Currently a 30 day supply of Truvada is $2,000.00.

And since this is not a "treatment" plan but preventative (which there are other ways to prevent HIV) will an insurance company be picking up any cost of the drug to begin with?

Auntie Biache'

So if parents don't need to know about their children being prescribed drugs, who is going to pay the cost. Currently a 30 day supply of Truvada is $2,000.00.

And since this is not a "treatment" plan but preventative (which there are other ways to prevent HIV) will an insurance company be picking up any cost of the drug to begin with?
I'm sure the tax payer will be picking up the tab.

Chris0nllyn

Good question.

Currently, nothing in the bill stipulates who pays. It just says that a minor has the capacity to consent to treatment ("if, in the judgement of the attending physician, the life or health of the minor would be affected adversely by delaying treament") for preventing HIV.
https://legiscan.com/MD/text/SB251/2019