Miso Soup?

ugotnothin

I am a big fan of Miso soup and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for it? I like it at both Asahi and Sake. I know it's water, miso paste, green onion, and firm tofu, but I cant figure out what vegetable it is that they use.

Thanks!

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I am a big fan of Miso soup and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for it? I like it at both Asahi and Sake. I know it's water, miso paste, green onion, and firm tofu, but I cant figure out what vegetable it is that they use.

Thanks!

Most likely Kelp (seaweed) but spinach or bok choy can be used instead.

Thanks!

I like the miso from Asahi too, but thought the broth had some chicken stock or something in it. I've had other miso, but they didn't have that same richness in the broth.

Edit: I just Googled miso, and there are a number of recipes all using the same basic stock, none of which use chicken broth.........

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I like the miso from Asahi too, but thought the broth had some chicken stock or something in it. I've had other miso, but they didn't have that same richness in the broth.

Edit: I just Googled miso, and there are a number of recipes all using the same basic stock, none of which use chicken broth.........

It's fish stock.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Here's More...

Here's more-

Dashi is Japanese stock, which becomes the base of many Japanese dishes, such as soup, dipping sauce, and nimono (simmered dishes). Since dashi is often used in Japanese cooking, it's useful to know how to make it. There are different kinds of dashi. It can be made from kombu (dried kelp), katsuo-bushi (dried bonito flakes), niboshi (dried small sardines), hoshi-shiitake (dried shiitake mushrooms), and more. Kombu dashi and dried shiitake mushroom dashi are known as good vegetarian stocks. It might take extra effort to make dashi, but good dashi makes your Japanese dishes taste much better. Let's learn to make different kinds of dashi.

Dashi - Japanese Soup Stock

If I hadn't specifically asked about this, I'd be clueless. I have a friend who is married to a japanese woman, and he uses fish stock for his potato soup. I got the whole low down on fish stock from him.

It's also used in Tamagoyaki - Japanese rolled omelet, which his mother in law taught me how to make while she was visiting state side.

suthrncom4t

the dry packaged miso soup in the grocery store is pretty good when you have a craving. Giant used to carry it, but can't find it there anymore. Maybe Safeway or Shoppers Food?