Missing Links: The Hypocrisy Audit

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"Double standards have always been a part of U.S. foreign policy. It’s time to figure out how many should no longer be tolerated.

The official position of the United States is that Europe should allow Turkey to join the European Union. Turkey’s entry would give its citizens the right to travel freely to any other EU member state. This prodding to Europeans to embrace Turkey comes from the same country that is building a 700-mile-long wall along its border with Mexico."

"Therefore, here is one suggestion for the next president of the United States: Ask for an audit of America’s foreign-policy double standards. Just producing such a list will be a salutary exercise. It will not only show how long the list is, but it will also open the official explanations commonly used to rationalize the contradictions to renewed scrutiny and, in the process, reveal the economic interests or political passions behind them. Understanding the logic that sustains each of the double standards now in place will help in deciding which ones should be jettisoned. Some will emerge as untouchable (Saudi Arabia), while others will be revealed in all their obsolescence (Cuba). Hopefully, some of them will be eliminated."

Foreign Policy: Missing Links: The Hypocrisy Audit

This_person

"Double standards have always been a part of U.S. foreign policy. It’s time to figure out how many should no longer be tolerated.

The official position of the United States is that Europe should allow Turkey to join the European Union. Turkey’s entry would give its citizens the right to travel freely to any other EU member state. This prodding to Europeans to embrace Turkey comes from the same country that is building a 700-mile-long wall along its border with Mexico."
I know you don't like to actually post in your own threads, but, where's the hypocricry? :confused:

Turkey is a border country between Asia and Europe (map), and the Europeans formed a union of their countries for what they believe will be their common good. We are in, and hopefully plan to be in, no such union. While we don't practice it, we believe in the sovereignty of our borders (and other nations' borders).

So, if you could help explain what made it worth posting this drivel instead of ignoring the idiocy of it, I'd appreciate it.

wintersprings

I know you don't like to actually post in your own threads, but, where's the hypocricry? :confused:

Turkey is a border country between Asia and Europe (map), and the Europeans formed a union of their countries for what they believe will be their common good. We are in, and hopefully plan to be in, no such union. While we don't practice it, we believe in the sovereignty of our borders (and other nations' borders).

So, if you could help explain what made it worth posting this drivel instead of ignoring the idiocy of it, I'd appreciate it.

I don't think he even reads the drivel he posts

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I don't think he even reads the drivel he posts

Not much beyond the headline and the first few sentences. I can usually rub his nose in the inevitable contrary proof against his assumptions that shows up later in anything longer than five paragraphs. He probably has ADD and gets bored sounding out the three-syllable words after two paragraphs.