Mistress Phoenix...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I estimated her weight pretty good, was thinking 6 or 7 pounds. Vet record copy I got showed she was at 7 pounds on 31 December when the previous owner brought her in to make sure kitty was up to date on physical exam and shots.

Buff is about 15 pounds and Cooper is about 18.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
She wasn't happy with me after I let Cooper in for a supervised visit a little bit ago.

Attachments

• Fenix_DAAD_ThatBoy_Again-Vid_2021-52.mp4
    1.2 MB · Views: 120

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My Bubba last weighed in at 23#.
My uncle Anthony had a Maine Coon tomcat named Louis who weighed 36 pounds in his prime.

Missy P was very active last night as I was reading in bed before turning the light off.
Spent the better part of an hour exploring both window sills, the top of the short book shelf, the tops of the other furniture and lay on a fairly empty shelf in one of the tall book units for a bit. Of course, she took a few snack and scratch pad breaks.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Sitting in her window late last night. A bit fuzzy screen capture.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Tried putting the screen door up across the hallway to block off the boys.
Got Miss Phoenix to come about 6 feet from the open door.
Will try again every day until I get her exploring the bedroom level.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm a little jealous of my Mrs. She slept in the "nursery" with Miss Phoenix last night for the 1st time, and guess who comes out almost right away for social time? The little hussy even jumped up on the bed soon after Anita lay down.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Another good social night for the girls, 😺👧

Followed by...

Had a pretty good supervised visit from Mr. Buff early this afternoon. I was doing the janitor work when Anita came in to visit, too.
She had not seen Buff, and he snuck in. Phoenix stared, hissed then went under the bed.
However, not into her safe spot at the head, but just behind the foot board, with her tail still showing out from under the side.
Buff crouched down to look under, their faces were only about 6 inches apart.
"Hiss, grrr, hiss, grrr, hiss, hiss..." but not in high volume.
After a couple minutes, where she did not back down and he did not advance, Anita picked him up and put him back in the hall.

I had a nap in there late this afternoon. Missy was social, spent several minutes almost cuddling, but enjoying the pets and scritches.

Later, after I got up and was going to replace the screen over the opening, a not so smooth visit from Cooper.
I let him in for what I thought might be the usual supervised visit; Phoenix going under the bed and him crouching there mewing at her with his tiny voice. She stared, hissed and went under the bed.
However, Big Boy went under and chased her out the other side. Had her cornered near the food bowls between the nightstand and the front wall of the room. It was noisy, and she was prepared to defend herself, did take a few swipes at him.
Saying his name in a moderately loud voice several times got him to break off and leave the room.
No fur flew. Instead of putting the screen back in place, closed and locked the door.

1 step forward, 1 step back.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Situation back to normal as I slept in the nursery last night.

Except, Phoenix spend almost 2 hours over a couple different sessions sleeping on the blanket covered box by the window instead of under the bed. She, of course, spent time snacking and running the top of all the furniture, even make a couple visits atop the bed.

gemma_rae

It was noisy, and she was prepared to defend herself, did take a few swipes at him.
Saying his name in a moderately loud voice several times got him to break off and leave the room.
No fur flew. Instead of putting the screen back in place, closed and locked the door.
Spr, It sounds inevitable that there's going to be at least a minor spat before there is any harmony, so might I make a suggestion please?

The next time there is a confrontation like this, try to let it play itself out if at all possible without any intervention. I realize Cooper is by far the dominant one but don't make him the bad guy. He was in the house first, and cats are very territorial by nature so he sees Missy as the intruder I'm sure.

If intervention is needed, just give your commands without mentioning names. You want Missy to tolerate Cooper as much as you want Cooper to tolerate her right? If they both understand bad behavior is a no-no it might be beneficial.

Just a well intentioned suggestion.

UglyBear

Question to the Cat Wisperer:
We have an older male cat, somewhat bity and independent. We plan to get a female kitten soon. Do you envision the acclimation process as long as yours, which is between three adult cats?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Spr, It sounds inevitable that there's going to be at least a minor spat before there is any harmony, so might I make a suggestion please?

The next time there is a confrontation like this, try to let it play itself out if at all possible without any intervention. I realize Cooper is by far the dominant one but don't make him the bad guy. He was in the house first, and cats are very territorial by nature so he sees Missy as the intruder I'm sure.

If intervention is needed, just give your commands without mentioning names. You want Missy to tolerate Cooper as much as you want Cooper to tolerate her right? If they both understand bad behavior is a no-no it might be beneficial.

Just a well intentioned suggestion.
All advice cheerfully considered.
I think Cooper just wants her to like him, but is as clumsy as the big lummox in the Bugs Bunny cartoons that would "hug him and squeeze him, and call him George."

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Question to the Cat Wisperer:
We have an older male cat, somewhat bity and independent. We plan to get a female kitten soon. Do you envision the acclimation process as long as yours, which is between three adult cats?
We've had introductions take as short as 3 days, tiny Miss April Dancer and the Grey Sisters (Queen Victoria and Calamity Jane) and as long as several months in the case of the semi-famous Miss Teia Honey.

Reading through this one of my cat answers at Quora might give some insight.

Then there's this one mostly about the process with Miss Teia.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Miss Phoenix managed to open the closet door in the nursery, just has one of spring loaded ball catches at the top.

Also, she is coming to the screen door I have blocking the boys from going in, and not running as far when they surprise her there. Kitty cam has caught her peeking around the corner of the bed looking at them, without hissing.

Slowly but surely.