Misunderstood Muscle: Underappreciated And Forgotten Muscle Cars

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
1969 Chevrolet Kingswood 427
Station wagons are not usually thought of as muscle-cars, but the Kingswood deserves the label as it is a proper pavement punisher. In 1969, if you were picky with the options packages, you could order the big family truckster with the 427 cubic-inch Turbo-Jet V8, pushing 390-horsepower through a four-speed manual transmission.

With all the kids strapped in, and despite weighing more than all the moons of Jupiter, the Kingswood could achieve a 0-60 mph time of 7.2 seconds and run the quarter-mile in 15.6 seconds. That’s not bad for a wagon the size of Texas designed for family hauling.

d6635ab56289c29785e6665fce385d52

Scott Konshak/Pinterest

A Wagon with a factory 4sp

:faint:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Station wagons are not usually thought of as muscle-cars, but the Kingswood deserves the label as it is a proper pavement punisher. In 1969, if you were picky with the options packages, you could order the big family truckster with the 427 cubic-inch Turbo-Jet V8, pushing 390-horsepower through a four-speed manual transmission.

With all the kids strapped in, and despite weighing more than all the moons of Jupiter, the Kingswood could achieve a 0-60 mph time of 7.2 seconds and run the quarter-mile in 15.6 seconds. That’s not bad for a wagon the size of Texas designed for family hauling.

Scott Konshak/Pinterest

In the days before the government choked to fun out of new automobiles.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My dad had one of those for a short time, I think it was a loaner, but it didn't have the 'performance package'. Just a family wagon in black.

Homer J

Power Chord
The article drifted into some questionable territory for a few of those.

My favorite unsung hero's are the early/mid 70's GM A-Bodies, or as GM called them, Colonnade Coupes. A couple of them were mentioned in the article. The '73 Chevelle Laguna, '71 GMC Sprint (or El Camino). But, they forgot about the Chevy Monte Carlo, Olds Cutlass, Buick Century, and my favorite, the Pontiac Grand Am.

These cars had some of the best profiles of any car made.

Laguna S3

El Camino

Monte Carlo

Cutlass 442

Buick Century GS

Pontiac Grand Am

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

Scott Konshak/Pinterest

My uncle had one of these and the 427 ended up in a Vega.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I had a 70 Buick Wagon that had a 455GS, 4v and a really low rear.

Would have hauled ass nicely if I'd had to money to pull it and put it in a smaller car.