Mitch and Cam: a fun fact

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The producers of Modern Family were hesitant to feature an openly gay couple on the show, and they had endless angst over showing them as normal loving parents. They thought that middle Americans would never accept it and might, I dunno, throw Bibles at them or something.

This goes to show how out of touch Hollywood is. Americans not only accepted Mitch and Cam, they embraced them wholeheartedly and applauded their raising of Lily. M&C are consistently voted the show's best couple.

It's just kind of amazing to me that entrenched Hollyweirds have no concept of life outside their metropolitan bubble. That's why NYC media editors think fried chicken is some exotic southern delicacy - they have no idea what normal people think, do, wear, or eat. And then they call us the unsophisticated ones....

Interesting....

limblips

PREMO Member
The producers of Modern Family were hesitant to feature an openly gay couple on the show, and they had endless angst over showing them as normal loving parents. They thought that middle Americans would never accept it and might, I dunno, throw Bibles at them or something.

This goes to show how out of touch Hollywood is. Americans not only accepted Mitch and Cam, they embraced them wholeheartedly and applauded their raising of Lily. M&C are consistently voted the show's best couple.

It's just kind of amazing to me that entrenched Hollyweirds have no concept of life outside their metropolitan bubble. That's why NYC media editors think fried chicken is some exotic southern delicacy - they have no idea what normal people think, do, wear, or eat. And then they call us the unsophisticated ones....

Interesting....
Madison Avenue has adopted the same mentality. The ads are all bi-racial, gay, lesbian, et al depictions. Advertising people are blind to the fact that the majority has progressed beyond the issues. I immediately shut out the intended message when I see the obvious pandering.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Madison Avenue has adopted the same mentality. The ads are all bi-racial, gay, lesbian, et al depictions. Advertising people are blind to the fact that the majority has progressed beyond the issues. I immediately shut out the intended message when I see the obvious pandering.
I think some of the ads are trying to announce how the company is woke and all for diversity. This way if something happens that reflects negatively on the company, they can point to their ads to possibly avoid any fallout.

UglyBear

Back in the 90s-00’s that was the strategy, and imho the correct one — to show previously marginal groups as, you know, just people, with their own problems.
That made the general populace relate to them, and no longer fear them.
There was even a movie about a Trannie that was so well-made, I ended up feeing for him in the end. Also, Who wouldn’t want M&C to be their neighbors?

The current strategy is to shove all the worst perversions and deviance in our faces, while screaming “these are the ideal and you are POS for not worshipping them!”. Completely counterproductive.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I remember them making a big deal out of that Cheerios commercial or whatever it was with the interracial couple, and it honestly didn't register with me until they did their "See us being all edgy?" routine. As you said, we've progressed beyond that. Same with same-sex couples and all the rest. A few people see it and care, but most don't.

I feel like now they're just making a big deal out of everything to hide their own immature bigotry because most Americans are like, why are we still talking about this after 30 years?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The current strategy is to shove all the worst perversions and deviance in our faces, while screaming “these are the ideal and you are POS for not worshipping them!”. Completely counterproductive.

I'm pretty sure the goal is to piss everyone off and make them hate each other. As you said, when alternate lifestyles were presented normally in a way we could relate to them, we were all like, okay.... :sshrug: Now what's being ponied up is so far outside any norm we know that we object to it, so they can then go, "Ha! Bigot!"