MLB elevates the Negro League as a major league

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
No mention if saying the term negro has caused any discomfort for the old white guys running MLB. When sports and social justice collide. Up next, the Cleveland baseball team switching mascots.

Major League Baseball has officially recognized the Negro Leagues as major league teams — 100 years after their creation. "All of us who love baseball have long known that the Negro Leagues produced many of our game's best players, innovations and triumphs against a backdrop of injustice," Commissioner Robert Manfred said in a statement Wednesday.

MLB officially recognizes Negro League as "major league" after 100 years (msn.com)

limblips

PREMO Member
United Negro College Fund doesn't seem to bother people. Maybe if there is free money involved the sting is lessened?

HypertensiveTiger

I wonder what is meant by this statement.

"The new recognition also means that players who beat MLB records while they were in the Negro League could receive recognition for their accomplishments. The MLB is working with the Elias Sports Bureau to review how the new designation changes affect the record books."

What specifically is meant by "receive recognition"? Will new record holders be crowned or named? I enjoy baseball, but I am not a stats guy. I wonder how many records could possibly be in play here?

GregV814

recognition code word for cash. You think this isn't? Shirley you jest. From now on, everything is about cash. Wrigley Field should be dismantled, any players from TyCobb, a hateful man, to Babe Ruth, Frank Howard to Calvin Griffith should be stripped of their history...A congressional caucus should immediately implement reparations by paying anyone remotely associated with junior high baseball, to the pro's, to 14th Century sportsmen, (oooops women of color too) and give them 100,000 dollars!!!