Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWAGD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What is more barbaric, MMA or boxing?

The Oscar/Mayweather fight has brought out the voices of those trying to save boxing from the current low view most have of it; from it's anarchy ridden governing to the reputations of the fighters and promoters to it's lack of an exciting and dynamic stars.

Of course, whenever you want to go up, something else must go down and that would be MMA, mixed martial arts or the 'cage thing' for the more casual among us.

Pro boxing people are saying things like MMA is human cockfighting basely appealing to the lowest of human interests with barbaric combat. Things like 'MMA fighters are all goons, parolee's and bouncers kicking each other in the groin'.

Pro MMA people say 'yeah, it's bloody and violent but the skill required far surpasses boxing and our guys will still know who they are 30 years from now'
referencing Ali, Leonard, Frazier, Mancini and all the others who are mental shells of their former selves.

So, obviously, MMA is not cockfighting; nobody dies, and boxing isn't exactly a spelling bee. So, here's how I'd like you to frame our vote;

I'm a fight fan (FF) and I like; one over the other, both equally. 3 choices

or

I'm not a fight fan (NFF) and; I'm OK with both, ban both, like one or the other, 4 choices

or

Global Warming All Gonna Die (GWAGD) so what does it matter? (1 choice)

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Boxing has gotten boring...Now K1, Pride, UFC, or any other type of fights, I'll watch any day of teh week over boxing...

But I must say, The Contender does have me hooked :yay:

mainman

Set Trippin
Softballkid said:
Boxing has gotten boring
Bingo! I could not even tell you any heavy weights right now.. I used to follow boxing closely. Don King and Mike Tyson ruined it....:ohwell:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
mainman said:
Bingo! I could not even tell you any heavy weights right now.. I used to follow boxing closely. Don King and Mike Tyson ruined it....:ohwell:
I started watching kick Boxing several years back, and then switched to the UFC.. when the scrawney guy in the white was winning. It's always exciting, and I like how a fight can go from a guy barely on his feet, to winning the fight in a matter of seconds.

There are so many ways to win, and with that, so many ways to lose, there is no way to tell who is going to win until after the fight is done.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I watched an kick boxing bout where one of the fighters was sick.. a woman came in in his place (she being the top ranked martial arts female in the US).. They got to mixing it up and the guy sandwiched her head in between a backhand and a roundhouse(?) kick.. she looked like spaghetti as she was falling to the floor. Never heard her name again in competition.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
For starters, boxing on its worst day has seen death, rape charges atop never-ending lists of criminal charges, fighters who can’t speak coherently and riots - one that I can remember being caused when one fighter kept punching, “the other guy in the nuts.” Hence, casting “many” of the combatants in mixed-martial arts as “thugs and ruffians” and “former nightclub bouncers, knuckle crackers and parolees” is ludicrous enough, but when comparing them to boxers, it’s just plain stupid.Not everyone associated with boxing is a criminal, but if you’re going to compare MMA and boxing, boxing’s clearly winning the orange jumpsuit battle.Will boxing have to cede its place on the stage to other fighting forms, like mixed martial arts? Mixed martial arts is entertaining. The kind of skill level you saw in the ring tonight - there's nothing in mixed martial arts which is within light years of what Mayweather and de la Hoya are able to do with their hands." – HBO boxing commentator Jim Lampley

Lampley gave that unsolicited opinion on mixed martial arts at the end of last Saturday's Super Welterwight boxing title fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Oscar de la Hoya, which Mayweather won by decision. For the most part, it was a 12-round snoozefest as Mayweather's admittedly superb defensive skill prevented de la Hoya from landing any significant shots, while Mayweather's lack of power meant that his punches inflicted minimal damage on The Golden Boy's mug. Looking at their faces after 36 minutes of this supposed fight, I couldn't tell if they'd been in a boxing ring or at a health spa. So yes I'am a big fan of Ufc,Ifl,Pride and any others out there.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
The world's top boxer isn't planning to fight a mixed martial artist any time soon, but the IBF welterweight champion says he wants a crack at UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. dogged the UFC and its fighters in the buildup to his blockbuster pay-per-view match with Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday.

His demeaning comments towards mixed martial arts and its fighters so infuriated UFC president Dana White and owner Lorenzo Fertitta that they brought Sherk to the fight with them on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden in order to challenge Mayweather.

But before the fight, Mayweather told UFC vice president Marc Ratner he was only kidding and had respect for the UFC and mixed martial artists.

However, boxer Kermit Cintron is willing to take on Sherk.

Cintron, who will defend his championship against Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City, said he'd be willing to fight Sherk after that.

"I want the fight," said Cintron, who is 27-1 with 25 KOs. "I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I'll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14."

Cintron wrestled in high school and was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin and Ohio State