Mobile Hotspot

SamSpade

What's the best way to get wi-fi for a laptop, where there might not be any existing wi-fi?
I have an old deactivated Jetpack which I could reactivate. I think there are dongles that exist primarily as wi-fi pickups specifically
FOR laptops.

Also - is there a way to get one for short term? I am pretty sure I could go to Verizon and they'd want to sell me some plan and hardware -
but do any of these smaller companies offer temporary wi-fi? Say, if I go on vacation?

I know it is possible to link through a smart-phone - I would very much like to NOT do that.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I know it is possible to link through a smart-phone - I would very much like to NOT do that.
Just went thru this yesterday wit a friend. Enabling hot-spot on a phone increases the data usage exponentially. If you have an unlimited data plan, not an issue. If you have a plan with cap, you could exceed it very quickly.

Might be easiest to re-activate your JetPack, but if it's old, might not use current protocols (4gLTE at a minimum).

Hit the various vendor's websites to see if they offer a portable hotspot device and monthly plan. Maybe even stop at WalMart, Target, etc... and see what they can offer.

black dog

Free America
We use Crickets unlimited plan from a few years back. At her place we teather to our phones for her Netflix and Prime tv-video. And I hard tether to my laptop to surf the forums and web on.
When we went to that plan it was unlimited unlimited and unlimited, if we ever notice them throttling back on us she's on the phone with them.
I have HS cable/wifi at my place.

SamSpade

Ting or Straight Talk are month to month

I have an old Jetpack that's been deactivated. Do you think I can activate it with Straight Talk, or would I have to get one of their devices?

I'm looking to activate a hotspot for like, two months. And then I won't use it at all, like, ever.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

I'd give them a call and ask if you can use your JetPack, but they do have a reconditioned hotspot for $0 with a plan purchase.

Escalade14

Go Rams!
Depending on both which branch may be closest to you as well as local availability, you can see about checking a mobile hotspot out from the library. All three counties' libraries have them available to check out, you just need a library card. No charge as long as it's in good working condition and returned on time.

Not sure about Calvert or St. Mary's counties, but I do know that the Charles County libraries have them available for check out for two-week durations (unless you are able to get one from the Mobile Library, in which case you can check it out for three weeks instead of two).

You can even reserve one for in-branch pickup, although not every device is eligible for reservations. It's been a while since I've done this, but I'm pretty sure everything mentioned above is still valid today