Mold Mess!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Okay everyone, I need some advice on some good show halters that got left in a whatithoughtwasawaterproof container and now have been sitting in 3 inches of water for ooohh 2 weeks stewing in the warm weather. I rinsed off the inch of green fuzz that was on everything and brought them in the house to dry. What are your favorite remedies? I'm going to try a few and see what worked best. At least it's raining and all the barn work is done.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
So they are NOT light oil or at least not anymore...they were IN water? I would put them in the washing machine (yes leather) with some murpys oil soap..and then condition them good with lexoil conditioner after they come out of the wash...good luck..

If they have silver shine as usual after washing and before conditioning...

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
yeah, no light oil expensive stuff, but some nice dark oil pieces. I'm trying to find some Lexoil - trying to call Tractor Supply to see if they are open. Some of it was in the water and some of it was wet from humidity and being dripped on. Eewww! Yucky! Thanks for the tip!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I would wash in germ control but I now you dont have any...wash though..even if just in saddle soap in the washer...then condition..good luck

GallopNTec

HorseLady said:
Okay everyone, I need some advice on some good show halters that got left in a whatithoughtwasawaterproof container and now have been sitting in 3 inches of water for ooohh 2 weeks stewing in the warm weather. I rinsed off the inch of green fuzz that was on everything and brought them in the house to dry. What are your favorite remedies? I'm going to try a few and see what worked best. At least it's raining and all the barn work is done.
Once they're dry, soak them in Neatsfoot oil. Like Paso said, use Murphys oil soap to wash them.
I have a cat litter pan just for soaking( "found" a nice show halter hiding saturday- it soaked up 16 oz. of oil).
Also here's a great tip- I have this cleaning tool called a black and decker scum buster- its chargeable with different brushes. Am using it to clean a western saddle a friend gave me that hasn't seen saddle soap in 5 years- it is awesome! After I put the soap on with the sponge, I use the scumbuster- it has an attachment with a single row of bristles that is perfect for getting the crud out of the tooling AND it doesn't bite itno the leather.

changeling

HorseLady said:

I agree with Paso to wash them with Murphys. However, I strongly suggest not soaking them in oil. They definitely need to be conditioned after washing but do it in thin layers allowing each layer to dry before applying the next. Soaking in oil will over condition the leather which can't be undone. Also pure neatsfoot oil will rot your stitching.

Also, check your PMs on another subject. :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Yep soaking in neatsfoot will rot stitching and will attract mice...dont know why but it will...

GallopNTec

Pasofever said:
Yep soaking in neatsfoot will rot stitching and will attract mice...dont know why but it will...
YIKES!!!
I used the compound,-Is it okay to use sparingly?
I seem to have a bad mouse problem this year anyway ( 3 cats too )
don't need to tempt them further.

Thanks for the info :huggy:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Pasofever said:

Because to the mice, it's food:

Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the feet and shin bones (not the hooves) of cattle. It is used as a conditioning, softening and preservative for leather, and remains liquid down to a low temperature.

Neatsfoot oil is produced much less than it once was. Currently, the shins and feet of cattle are usually rendered along with the rest of the body. Also, many products sold as neatsfoot oil are actually diluted with petroleum oil, which is bad for leather.

The best quality neatsfoot oil comes from the legs of calves. The fat in animals' legs generally has a lower melting point than the body fat, which means that it is more fluid and easier to use at lower temperatures, making it more effective for treating leather.

'Neat' in the oil's name comes from an old term for animals of the genus Bos, especially cattle.