Moldy grain.

buddyboii

Is any one having trouble with moldy grain recently? I just had half a trash can of blue seal charger go bad on me:(. So i was wondering if any one had any ideas or ways to prevent that for the rest of the summer. :)

Thanks in advance!

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Is any one having trouble with moldy grain recently? I just had half a trash can of blue seal charger go bad on me:(. So i was wondering if any one had any ideas or ways to prevent that for the rest of the summer. :)

Thanks in advance!
I use Blue Seal also. I purchase it from Loveville every week and I have not yet had a problem. Goodluck

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
All this rain probably has alot to do with it along with heat. I live on the water and our cows feed does this alot. Make sure it's kept in a tightly closed bin and if you have to put it in your garage or even house so that the moisture cant get to it

CountryLady

luvmyponies

Thanks in advance!
The heat and humidity will definitely do it. Your grain could be stored in a tightly sealed container and it CAN still condensate. The high heat during the day and the sudden drop in temperature at night will cause the grain to sweat and then it will mold. You may want to monitor the temp where you store it for a short time. :coffee:

Robin

Key for storage, make sure you elevate and have airflow between the grain can and the ground. this will also help.
a pallet is enough height from the ground. Usually feed stored in a can and directly touching the ground is enough to cause the bootom half of the grain/pellets in the can to spoil.\

Only buy enough grain that you will use in a week or two during the humid hot months July/aug/sept

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Key for storage, make sure you elevate and have airflow between the grain can and the ground. this will also help.
a pallet is enough height from the ground. Usually feed stored in a can and directly touching the ground is enough to cause the bootom half of the grain/pellets in the can to spoil.\

Only buy enough grain that you will use in a week or two during the humid hot months July/aug/sept

:yeahthat:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!

Great tip! I don't have trouble with the grain stored in the chest type freezer, but in the trash cans i did, now i know why. Thx Robin!