Monocular vision

Pete

Repete
So my glasses decided last week that the coating on the lenses was going to turn loose and make it look like I am seeing in fog. Being the weekend I was stuck until I remembered my contact lens experiment a few years ago and the three pairs I had in a drawer still sealed in the original package. I put them in and presto I forgot how great it was to see.

So here is my problem. I am nearsighted so now I can see great so long as the object is not type and more than 18 inches away. My glasses were bifocals so now I can see great but I need reading glasses. 1.75 from the department store work fairly well but I leave them here and there.

I have decided I like the cool sunglasses and not having to fuddle with glasses all the time and want to stay Team Contact. People tell me they do the monocular vision thing where one eye is for far away, one is for close up. this seems weird and undoable to me.

Who does this and how freaky is it?

People tell me they do the monocular vision thing where one eye is for far away, one is for close up. this seems weird and undoable to me.

My dad had cataract surgery last year, and they inserted lenses to correct vision. He also had a choice of one eye distance, one eye reading, and the surgeon says a lot of people do it. I thought it was a bit odd, don't think I'd like that. My dad didn't either, he got distance correction both eyes and uses OTC reading lenses.

As far as leaving the reading glasses somewhere, I buy the 4 or 5 pair for $20 at BJs. I leave one in the family room where I compute nd read, one pair in the truck, one pair on my nightstand..... I leave the all over so I can always find one and don't have to remember to carry it around.

DEEKAYPEE8569

So my glasses decided last week that the coating on the lenses was going to turn loose and make it look like I am seeing in fog. Being the weekend I was stuck until I remembered my contact lens experiment a few years ago and the three pairs I had in a drawer still sealed in the original package. I put them in and presto I forgot how great it was to see.

So here is my problem. I am nearsighted so now I can see great so long as the object is not type and more than 18 inches away. My glasses were bifocals so now I can see great but I need reading glasses. 1.75 from the department store work fairly well but I leave them here and there.

I have decided I like the cool sunglasses and not having to fuddle with glasses all the time and want to stay Team Contact. People tell me they do the monocular vision thing where one eye is for far away, one is for close up. this seems weird and undoable to me.

I have monocular vision; born with it. There are extenuating circumstances behind and long medical tem-filled explanations for why, that I won't go into here. I have trouble judging distances and closure rates ie; no depth perception. So throw a baseball at me and I'll miss catching it 99.9% of the time. I have a dominant eye that I use probably more than I should; but to use the other/weaker eye results in even worse depth perception difficulties. I've had to wear reading glasses for certain things, like reading newspapers etc., but not for things at arm's length. Have you considered wearing an eye patch? Another perhaps silly remedy might be to close one eye depending on what you're doing?

Pete

Repete
I have monocular vision; born with it. There are extenuating circumstances behind and long medical tem-filled explanations for why, that I won't go into here. I have trouble judging distances and closure rates ie; no depth perception. So throw a baseball at me and I'll miss catching it 99.9% of the time. I have a dominant eye that I use probably more than I should; but to use the other/weaker eye results in even worse depth perception difficulties. I've had to wear reading glasses for certain things, like reading newspapers etc., but not for things at arm's length. Have you considered wearing an eye patch? Another perhaps silly remedy might be to close one eye depending on what you're doing?

I wear an eye patch on the weekends when I play pirate.

Roman

I have monocular vision also. I work in the medical field, and have no problem with it. I start I.V.'s, draw blood, remove sutures, and intubate people. Believe it or not, never a problem. I do have problems with pouring a liquid in to a glass, and unfamiliar roadside curbs are a bear. I've been mono 19 years, and I get ocular migraines too. Bummer.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I did this back in the 90's when I wore contacts. I never really got used to it, because I would get slight vertigo. Not a bad case, but it was enough that it made wearing them uncomfortable.

Rommey

Sounds like you and I have pretty similar vision issues. I'm far-sighted in one eye and near-sighted in the other and have astigmatism. Last eye exam the doc said I now have cataracts (getting old sucks!). I have trouble sometimes with depth perception, but have adapted fairly well for driving and sports objects coming at me...but if I have to do some work up close, I have some difficulty (its damn near impossible for me to thread a needle).

DEEKAYPEE8569

I did this back in the 90's when I wore contacts. I never really got used to it, because I would get slight vertigo. Not a bad case, but it was enough that it made wearing them uncomfortable.

I have had that issue also; for as long as I can remember. Walking down a flight of stairs is a trick.....for me anyway.

lmwelch

I do the monovision contacts thing -- left contact for distance vision and right contact for close up. I was looking for a way to stop having to use readers for close up stuff. My doctor first recommended multi-focal contacts (one lens corrects both distance and close-up vision), which I tried and hated! There are people who wear these and like them though, so you might want to look into them. Since I couldn't wear the multifocal lenses, my doctor suggested the monovision approach which, like you, I thought would be "freaky". Turns out, it's not freaky at all and works great for me (no more readers!). I can see far away and I can see close up. You should be able to get a set of trial lenses for either approach you want to try -- that way you aren't out of a lot of money if the lenses don't work for you. Good luck!