Moon Landing

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I was just watching a show talking about the 1st moon landing, and it brought up some thoughts.

Back then, the only mode of getting news was TV or radio. The entire country sat glued to the TV watching everything from the takeoff to the splashdown. It was a one-way source of information, from the announcer to you. If you wanted to comment, you turned to the people in the room next to you, which was probably family or close work associates, and spoke to them. If you missed the 6 o'clock news, you hoped it was replayed at 10pm.

Today, everything is broadcast everywhere, almost impossible to get away from any major event. If you have a comment, you post something to hundreds or thousands of total strangers, there might be a family member or two reading your posts, and look forward to getting into a flame war over minutia, just to prove your prowess. The actual event takes a back seat to the multi-cast messaging.

I actually miss those days sitting around the TV.

DaSDGuy

"Back then, the only mode of getting news was TV or radio."

Actually my family read the newspapers. Reading was exploring. We could dive all in to an article or move on at will. If we really were interested we would read many sources to see as many angles of a subject as possible.
Watching TV was being fed selected information. Radio was for music.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
"Back then, the only mode of getting news was TV or radio."

Actually my family read the newspapers. Reading was exploring. We could dive all in to an article or move on at will. If we really were interested we would read many sources to see as many angles of a subject as possible.
Watching TV was being fed selected information. Radio was for music.
That was possible when there were multiple papers from differing perspectives but unfortunately, the customers weren't there to keep multiples alive.

When I was a kid you could get the Post, Star and Daily News delivered to your door.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I was going to mention papers, but when I was a kid, the only thing we read was the funnies. The rest of the paper was boring. For "grown ups".

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I was going to mention papers, but when I was a kid, the only thing we read was the funnies. The rest of the paper was boring. For "grown ups".
:lmao: Yeah... Washington Daily News had Alley Oop.

Grumpy

When I was a kid you could get the Post, Star and Daily News delivered to your door.
As a kid, we got all three. I liked to read and once I reached 10/11, I read the majority of the paper. One thing I do miss as an adult is reading the huge Sunday WaPo. Nowadays the Sunday paper is lucky to be 20 pages.