More Atheists Shout It From the Rooftops

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"CHARLESTON, S.C. — Two months after the local atheist organization here put up a billboard saying “Don’t Believe in God? You Are Not Alone,” the group’s 13 board members met in Laura and Alex Kasman’s living room to grapple with the fallout.

The problem was not that the group, the Secular Humanists of the Lowcountry, had attracted an outpouring of hostility. It was the opposite. An overflow audience of more than 100 had showed up for their most recent public symposium, and the board members discussed whether it was time to find a larger place.

And now parents were coming out of the woodwork asking for family-oriented programs where they could meet like-minded nonbelievers."

bcp

In My Opinion
sounds like a congregation to me.
Must be a faith based group. Faith in there being no God, wrong, but still faith just the same.

MMDad

Lem Putt
100 out of 650,000? That is what you are excited about?

No-no, that's like you being all excited because you have an IQ of 10 and therefore are not alone.

Zguy28

And now parents were coming out of the woodwork asking for family-oriented programs where they could meet like-minded nonbelievers."
Great, so they can brainwash their little kids into a life without objective purpose.

Always wondered what it felt like to say something like that.

Alexa

Brainwashing can be a subjective term. Teach your children there is a Christian God and many see that as brainwashing too. Teach your children the Jewish Faith, Muslim Faith, etc.....and there are those that believe their children are brainwashed also.

C

citizen_fear

Brainwashing can be a subjective term. Teach your children there is a Christian God and many see that as brainwashing too. Teach your children the Jewish Faith, Muslim Faith, etc.....and there are those that believe their children are brainwashed also.

They're my children and I can brainwash them if I like.:neener:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
A support group for atheists. That is totally emo.

I must have missed the "support group" part, but I think it's way overdue. I think it's great that they have a place to gather and discuss why they feel/believe what they do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I must have missed the "support group" part, but I think it's way overdue. I think it's great that they have a place to gather and discuss why they feel/believe what they do.

Like a sewing circle or scrapbooking group.

I think it's weird. I already know why other atheists don't believe - to me it's like having a special group night so you can discuss why you don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus.

Vince

Isn't that a group gathering to discuss nothing? It would be like if I got a group together to discuss why we don't need groups to discuss stuff. Just seems dumb.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Like a sewing circle or scrapbooking group.

I think it's weird. I already know why other atheists don't believe - to me it's like having a special group night so you can discuss why you don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus.

Well, the discussions should be based on something tangible. Archeology, history, contradictions in the bible, etc.

It could make for interesting conversation with believers trying to convert someone.

This_person

Well, the discussions should be based on something tangible. Archeology, history, contradictions in the bible, etc.

It could make for interesting conversation with believers trying to convert someone.
Archeology and history would be discussing something (of course, nothing to do with having no faith, but it would be discussing something).

Wouldn't discussing perceived contradictions in the Bible require studying the Bible? And, therefore, would it really be an atheist Bible Study? I would love to sit in on that and hear the hypocrisy just drip from the walls! :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Archeology and history would be discussing something (of course, nothing to do with having no faith, but it would be discussing something).

Wouldn't discussing perceived contradictions in the Bible require studying the Bible? And, therefore, would it really be an atheist Bible Study? I would love to sit in on that and hear the hypocrisy just drip from the walls! :lol:

If you had studied history associated with deities, demi-gods, mythology, then you could appreciate what I'm saying. I personally find the bible fascinating. Doesn't mean I believe everything that's written in it. I guess if reading the bible makes me a hypocrite, then anyone who has faith in a god reads mythology, they must be hypocrites, too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Why is that hypocrisy?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Trying to convert someone is the most boring thing of all. I hate it when people try to convert me, so it's unlikely I'd want to do it to someone else.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Trying to convert someone is the most boring thing of all. I hate it when people try to convert me, so it's unlikely I'd want to do it to someone else.

I have no desire to convert anyone. However, when someone tries to convert me, then I'm knowledgable and can stand my ground without sounding like a sheeple.

I also think this could be a good place for those who question the faith they've lived all their lives with, a place to find answers. What's so wrong with that?