More hair stuff

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
So now that we've established the wrong way to lighten your hair at home, is there a right way to do it? I want to go from my dark brown to Jennifer Aniston-ish honey colored hair. I've only ever gone the demi-permanent route from Sally's to cover my few grays, but always stuck with my original color. I have two tons of hair, so going to a stylist will be super expensive. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In my opinion, the right way is to go to a professional. The second best way is to get a friend who knows what they're doing to do it for you. There are so many things that can go wrong when lightening hair.

Do you have long hair or short?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Shoulder length but really really thick. I've always been afraid to do it myself, but hate the thought of spending $100+ every six weeks or so, so I just stick with the dark. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Shoulder length but really really thick. I've always been afraid to do it myself, but hate the thought of spending $100+ every six weeks or so, so I just stick with the dark. :lol:

What you could do is get it highlighted. Then you get the lighter effect without it being a nightmare to grow out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was thinking about that too - just some lighter brown highlights.

You can do that yourself but probably need someone to help you with the back. The highlighting kits with the pronged applicator are pretty foolproof.

Sadysue

Be careful with highlights, they can take over you hair really fast. I went from a brunette to a blond by without wanting too. It starts with a little here, and a little there, then before you know it, your entire head is blond.

Roxie04

anything you buy over the counter is risky. if you just use a lighter color the peroxide is not strong enough to pull dark hair to blonde, so you get orange. the bleach kits for hi-lites are just that that..bleach. when left on to long can lighten hair up to white resulting in hair turning to mush and breaking off. if you have never done it before proceed with caution. it costs more for a color correction than for a normal color app.

bluewater

definitely go to a professional. people try these things at home, get terrible results then expect professionals to work miracles. You get what you pay for. Just like I wouldn't change my own transmission. :buddies:

Roxie04

It's cheaper to have a hairdresser do it right the first time than to have to get it fixed when you mess it up. I charge double to fix a do-it-yourself color job.

Sweet 16

^^8^^

Loreal Color Experte is available @ Walmart, Target or any drug store for under $20. It is a two-step color/highlight process -- overall color to cover grays then you wash that out and highlight with this giant mascara wand. You control how little or how much highlight you want. It takes a little effort and practice but I am satisfied with it. My hair is lighter though so I can't say how the highlighter would work on dark hair. Good luck!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
It's cheaper to have a hairdresser do it right the first time than to have to get it fixed when you mess it up.
You're right. :lol: I think I'll just opt for some highlights a few shades lighter than my natural color. I'll have to price it the next time I get my hair trimmed.

Roxie04

You're right. :lol: I think I'll just opt for some highlights a few shades lighter than my natural color. I'll have to price it the next time I get my hair trimmed.

I was just aiming at that when something goes wrong and hair turns to mush there is no fixing it. A chemical haircut, when you have to get all your hair cut off because it was fried by chemicals, is usually not a nice cut to get.:yikes: