More homeowner fun!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I crawled under my deck yesterday to spray for errant weeds and discovered a pretty significant structural issue. :yay: When my deck was built in 2007, the dirt around the foundation was not completely settled it appears. Well, in the 13 years since, combined with undersized gutters has led to a major erosion/compaction problem. The dirt around the post on that corner has settled so badly that the post has pulled away from the joists, I would say the hole is about 33-36 inches deep at this point.

My oldest son wants to be an engineer, so guess what? He gets some practical application over the next couple weeks INCLUDING some hands on work so he can appreciate the guys in the field. Digging holes and humping 80# bags of concrete in 30 to 34 inch workspaces should be fun.

Chris0nllyn

My oldest son wants to be an engineer, so guess what? He gets some practical application over the next couple weeks INCLUDING some hands on work so he can appreciate the guys in the field. Digging holes and humping 80# bags of concrete in 30 to 34 inch workspaces should be fun.

Something is off. If he wants to be an engineer, have him draw up some plans and specs without any real field knowledge or experience, then tell the guys who know how to do the work, how to do their job. :lol:

Scat

I crawled under my deck yesterday to spray for errant weeds and discovered a pretty significant structural issue. :yay: When my deck was built in 2007, the dirt around the foundation was not completely settled it appears. Well, in the 13 years since, combined with undersized gutters has led to a major erosion/compaction problem. The dirt around the post on that corner has settled so badly that the post has pulled away from the joists, I would say the hole is about 33-36 inches deep at this point.

If I were he, I would place a stop work notice on the job and my recommendation to the county inspector would be that the homeowner remove the entire unsafe structure.

kom526

If I were he, I would place a stop work notice on the job and my recommendation to the county inspector would be that the homeowner remove the entire unsafe structure.
The good thing is that he still lives under my roof. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If he wants any help paying for college expenses, that would be a terribly bad move in his part. :jet:

kom526

Not if he likes eating and sleeping there! :lol:
Living here is terrible though.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
What you call slave labor I call practical life experience.

Million dollar idea - Engineer Boot Camp. I'll partner with varying industrial operators to send budding engineers into the workforce for short periods to understand what they will be engineering. I did a little bit of this, and still do by taking engineers along on field trips to see and hands on as much as possible.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'll partner with varying industrial operators to send budding engineers into the workforce for short periods to understand what they will be engineering.

having worked a few blue collar jobs in the 90's I always said Architects should be required to work 2 or more trades as part of their education, so they have a better understanding how sht works in the field ....

Chris0nllyn

having worked a few blue collar jobs in the 90's I always said Architects should be required to work 2 or more trades as part of their education, so they have a better understanding how sht works in the field ....
Having a basic understanding of how things will be built would be okay with me.

I routinely work with people right out of college that have no clue how things are built, and it shows. Hell, I have to repeatedly tell the same Project Managers NOT to put plumbing fixtures and backflow preventers in my electrical rooms.

Clem72

If they understood how crap works you would have to pay them better than a janitor.