More nanny state crap

limblips

PREMO Member

I love how they tie this to reducing greenhouse gasses (because cow farts) and promotes healthy choices. If they were truly concerned with proper nutrition people would not be allowed to purchase ramen noodles, chips, soda, sugared cereals, and a host of other unhealthy foods on an EBT card. I have said for years that using UPC's to identify foods that are unhealthy and prohibit the purchase of those items on EBT will do much more than providing "meatless Mondays" will ever do. It is proven that poor food choices are a huge problem in the lower income community so do not allow them to use their EBT to buy crap foods.

TCROW

I'd rather advocate for deleting the EBT/food assistance program in its entirety. But if it's going to exist, I couldn't care less what anyone buys with it.

limblips

PREMO Member
I'd rather advocate for deleting the EBT/food assistance program in its entirety. But if it's going to exist, I couldn't care less what anyone buys with it.
Lobster and caviar for all, as long as you use an EBT card! We might as well allow Rock and Rye, Colt 45, Hennessy, Natural Lite, and other refreshments. People who don't care what the program has become are the problem.

TCROW

Lobster and caviar for all, as long as you use an EBT card! We might as well allow Rock and Rye, Colt 45, Hennessy, Natural Lite, and other refreshments. People who don't care what the program has become are the problem.

Re-read my first sentence.

limblips

PREMO Member
Re-read my first sentence.
I read it the first time and I would prefer we not have the program either but as with anything we give we cannot take away so we are stuck with the program. If we want to feed people and do it with decent nutrition we should go back to the old way of giving food instead of an slightly regulated debit card. but that won't happen either so lets restrict bad foods in an attempt to promote better eating.

TCROW

I read it the first time and I would prefer we not have the program either but as with anything we give we cannot take away so we are stuck with the program. If we want to feed people and do it with decent nutrition we should go back to the old way of giving food instead of an slightly regulated debit card. but that won't happen either so lets restrict bad foods in an attempt to promote better eating.

The pragmatist in me realizes you’re right — these programs will never go away. Personally, though, I’d rather advocate for what I believe. Advocating for “reform” is a tacit acceptance of these programs, which is something I cannot abide.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I read this to Monello the first thing he said was, "I'll bet that will save them a lot of money."

So there you go.