More on MD Drivers Licenses

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
ah...that explains why the gal scanned every document I provided. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes getting my CDL renewed a couple weeks ago. The new reservation system really seems to work well.

Aside: Not comfortable at all knowing all that personal info is now stored in a database by MD.

Chris0nllyn

Yea, if the deadline isn;t until 2020, why are some at risk of losing their license? Are they just overdue on renewing their license or what?

The overall deadline for obtaining a REAL ID is October 1, 2020, but more than 66,300 Marylanders with a new REAL ID star license or identification card have not yet filed the required documents.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's simple. MD issued a big batch of licenses with the Real ID certification that did not, in fact, meet the Fed requirements. Now they are trying to unfawk that and get every holder of those to return to MVA with documents in hand...and they placed the deadline of June for them to do it.

Maryland created a problem...and are working hard to compound it.

When I researched mine, I got the warning message with a date of November, but I have not received one notification by mail or email yet.

Reactions: BOP

lmor

My license will expire in 2021. This notice popped up when I entered my driver's license number on the MDOT website mentioned in the smnews.net article.

Although it’s not time yet for you to renew, documents will be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card renewal. If you would like to present documents early and obtain the Secure Maryland Driver’s License or ID card, please CLICK HERE to begin gathering your documents and to schedule an appointment at a MDOT MVA branch office. To obtain a duplicate or corrected Maryland Driver's License or ID card you will need to present documents. A $20 fee will apply.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What doesn't make sense to me though is why did DMV issue the real ID if you didn't have the right documents?

It appears to be a procedural error on the part of MVA; they only reviewed the documents and did not scan and archive them like they do now.

awpitt

Main Streeter
It's simple. MD issued a big batch of licenses with the Real ID certification that did not, in fact, meet the Fed requirements. Now they are trying to unfawk that and get every holder of those to return to MVA with documents in hand...and they placed the deadline of June for them to do it.

I am in that group but my deadline isn't until Nov 5th 2019 so I'm not sure who is in the group with the June deadline.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It appears to be a procedural error on the part of MVA; they only reviewed the documents and did not scan and archive them like they do now.
The wife didn't provided any documents when she got her new Real ID looking license a few years back.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
but I have not received one notification by mail or email yet.

I've gotten my 5th or 6th since I renewed last yr

I just got this today:

Dear Valued Customer,
Due to the federal REAL ID Act, you are now required to present documents to possess a new Maryland Driver’s License or Identification Card. Please click the button below to initiate gathering your documents and schedule an appointment to complete your transaction at your local branch by your REAL ID Enrollment date.

REAL ID Enrollment
June 12, 2019
MVA Online

Failure to present documents to an MDOT MVA branch by the date listed above will result in a cancellation of your Maryland driver’s license or identification card.

If you have any questions regarding REAL ID or would like additional information, please visit our website or call us at 410-768-7000.

Last edited:

General Lee

I already have the new one with the star, but I just entered in my DL# and it said They needed documents. I can tell you I HAVE NOT gotten one email or letter telling me that, like they say they have notifying people.

jrt_ms1995

The wife didn't provided any documents when she got her new Real ID looking license a few years back.
And I didn't when I got my Real-ID-starred license last year after renewing online. Also, no letters or e-mails about it, and the ...realidlookup app has said for months my license is non-compliant.

Just another government clusterduck.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Well it was pretty painless working through what i need to bring, got my appointment and there are PLENTY of openings.....

TPD

the poor dad
This whole mess sounds like a class action lawsuit against the state of Maryland by the 66,000 people with the incorrect license. Government mistakes piss me off - it takes my time, money, and effort to correct their mistakes and I never get an apology or refund of my money. Turn it around and let me make a mistake with a government agency and I am fined with interest for everyday I am late fixing the problem.

Tech

This whole mess sounds like a class action lawsuit against the state of Maryland by the 66,000 people with the incorrect license. Government mistakes piss me off - it takes my time, money, and effort to correct their mistakes and I never get an apology or refund of my money. Turn it around and let me make a mistake with a government agency and I am fined with interest for everyday I am late fixing the problem.
Believe the final number will be higher since almost a million renewals a year. How long was MD issuing non-complaint licenses? Wife issued one in November 2016, non-complaint with no deadline set on the M VA website, son renewed September 2017 compliant.