More on MD Drivers Licenses

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
seeing as how I don't have (1) a new license and (2) a star, I'm not one of the 66,000 (i.e. I don't have a Real ID License).
So riddle me this MVA, I've seen some of the requirements, how in hell did you issue a license to people who didn't verify their address, place of birth.
The requirement for your "real" social security card amuses me. That number was at one time only to be used for Social Security.
The "original" card I have (or may not) is not printed on any special paper, doesn't have a water mark or other tamper or forgery resistant technology. Plus there is no picture. So what does it prove? Other than an item with your national ID number that if lost could lead to having your ID stolen.
I have not had a SS card for 40 years. I used a W-2 instead.

PeoplesElbow

Cant these verification documents easily, falsely, be obtained provided someone laid enough groundwork to have them?

I feel safer already.

The Boss

I have a Star and I renewed the License last years but I checked and I need to go back in so I made an appointment and go in June 4th.

PeoplesElbow

Certified birth certificate or a US passport?...hard to fake those...
I was thinking the bills and W-2.

I would think though that I could grab anyone's birth certificate and say I was them, make up a W-2, and get a few bills somewhere and fairly easily could have a fake identity.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

License or passport. And after 2020, the license only works if it is Real ID compliant.
Pretty use I've read that a driver's license or passport is not required for airplane travel. Maybe at least for all those undocumented illegals?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Also, this REAL ID thing has to be racist. Come on now, how are those little old diminutive black women going to be able to find their required documentation for a "compliant" ID if they can't find it for a simple, verification of identification, card to vote? Just curious why this hasn't been challenged in court and taken up by the ACLU and the NAACP, Rainbow Push Coalition, Black Panthers, Louis Farrakhan, just to name a few, yet for this very reason. Inquiring minds.

TCROW

If I may ...

Pretty use I've read that a driver's license or passport is not required for airplane travel. Maybe at least for all those undocumented illegals?

From: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

I always travel on a passport because it doesn't have your address on it and reduces the chances that a bad actor can make note of your home address. They know you're traveling, obviously, and can send someone over to your house to rob it while you're gone.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I have a Star and I renewed the License last years but I checked and I need to go back in so I made an appointment and go in June 4th.

I'm in the same spot. My last renewal was in Aug 2017. I was supposed to be good to go. Even brought my DD-214 so I could get the Veteran designation on my new license. Well, in Oct 2017, the feds changed the requirements. This is why people, despite having the "star" on their license, have to go back and present the documents. This is a federal requirement, not a Maryland requirement.

awpitt

Main Streeter
seeing as how I don't have (1) a new license and (2) a star, I'm not one of the 66,000 (i.e. I don't have a Real ID License).
So riddle me this MVA, I've seen some of the requirements, how in hell did you issue a license to people who didn't verify their address, place of birth.
The requirement for your "real" social security card amuses me. That number was at one time only to be used for Social Security.
The "original" card I have (or may not) is not printed on any special paper, doesn't have a water mark or other tamper or forgery resistant technology. Plus there is no picture. So what does it prove? Other than an item with your national ID number that if lost could lead to having your ID stolen.

The documentation requirement was imposed, by the administration, in Oct 2017. This is why there were Real ID licenses issued prior to that for people who now have to come back with the required documents.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was thinking the bills and W-2.

I would think though that I could grab anyone's birth certificate and say I was them, make up a W-2, and get a few bills somewhere and fairly easily could have a fake identity.
I agree with that...I thought it was odd that a W2 was considered sufficient. The birth certificate requirement is a tough one though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

I travel by air many times a year. You cannot get in to boarding area without ID and boarding pass.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Except you can — just as I posted above straight from the TSA.
I saw that. How many people do you know that have tried that route? Looks iffy and time consuming at best...

From a travel advice site:

The TSA officer will ask for info including your name, current address, and other personal details that can be used to confirm that you are who you say you are. The process could take a while.

If they’re able to confirm your identity
against a database, you’ll be allowed through to security screening. (You’ll get a boarding pass with a note on it explaining that you don’t have ID).

If, however, your identity can’t be verified, they’ll have no choice but to turn you away. (A day weeping under the covers it is, then).

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Cant these verification documents easily, falsely, be obtained provided someone laid enough groundwork to have them?

I feel safer already.
Yes, none of these documents, particularly those with your social security number, are on tamper or forgery proof material.
Seeing as how we had a clerk at MVA issue licenses to "undocumented" people, I really don't trust them to handle my PII.
But hey, I'll put together a how to steal my identity package and entrust it to some low paid clerk to scan in.
Makes sense to me. Should I throw in a credit card or two?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But hey, I'll put together a how to steal my identity package and entrust it to some low paid clerk to scan in.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I sat there and watched the scanner suck up all my documents. The perfect "need an identity" kit.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm legal and up to date ...... the process took less 15 min in and out

MD is just updating the records - if no one else said, you keep your current license

calvcopf

I'm legal and up to date ...... the process took less 15 min in and out

MD is just updating the records - if no one else said, you keep your current license
I have seen the lines out the door lately at MVA's.
If you have an appt do you still have to wait in the line to check in by the door, or did you just grab a seat until they called your appointment?