More schools test single-sex classrooms

BuddyLee

Football addict
ATLANTA - In the sixth-grade class, the boys are making robots — more than a dozen students stand around work stations and chat as they cut cardboard with scissors, or glance at comic books for inspiration.

Down the hall, a room full of girls is working — quietly and independently — on the same project.

The recent scenes at Atlanta’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School may become more common in the coming years as a federal regulations change is expected to make it easier for public schools to experiment with single-gender schools and classrooms.

What say you?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13229488/

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
I think someone is going to have to go to court and try to get money because either the boys teacher or the girls teacher has higher qualifications and therefore one group or the other is being slighted, or maybe because the girls class is more behaved than the boys class and therefore the girls are showing better grades.

Im sure that somewhere someones civil rights are going to be violated in a most serious way with this disenfranchisement of one group or the other.

this experiment is just screaming for ol' Jessie the Jackass and Al (Tawana got doo doo on her) Sharpton.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
What say you?
I say I'm sick of social experiments and "fixing" things that aren't broken.

Back in the 70s they decided that there was no biological difference between boys and girls, so they worked to make everything gender-neutral, which resulted in boys being drugged with Ritalin to make them more girly, and making girls grow up to abandon their children in search of a career.

Now they want to segregate boys and girls to see what happens when they do that.

Why not find a real job and do something meaningful with your life instead of trying to screw people up?

donbarzini

vraiblonde said:
I say I'm sick of social experiments and "fixing" things that aren't broken.

Back in the 70s they decided that there was no biological difference between boys and girls, so they worked to make everything gender-neutral, which resulted in boys being drugged with Ritalin to make them more girly, and making girls grow up to abandon their children in search of a career.

Now they want to segregate boys and girls to see what happens when they do that.

Why not find a real job and do something meaningful with your life instead of trying to screw people up?

:clap: :high5: :cheers:

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Don't worry, they'll find something worse.

I'm sure there's a study on toe-cheese somewhere.

Fred Hoeck

LaSalle College High School class 0f 1970, all boys. (And, unlike Ryken, it still is). Same sex classrooms used to be the norm. Boys and girls learn and act differently and no denying of this fact will make it go away.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I believe that if students of one gender aren't learning well in a coed environment, it's the fault of the teachers, not of the coed system. If boys and girls do learn in different ways, teachers should be able to accommodate both ways. Good teachers do this all the time now, based on the personalities of the individual students.

vraiblonde said:

I don't think that was "gender-neutral." I think that was just replacing one set of expectations with another. I don't think we can ever prove whether gender differences in behavior are the product of nature or nurture or some combination.

In any case, I believe that society having gender-based expectations amounts to the social engineering that you're talking about. I agree that it was wrong to "make girls grow up to abandon their children in search of a career." It was also wrong to teach girls that they had to bear children in order to be a complete woman, which was done for decades. In both cases, kids were told they had to live their lives according to someone else's agenda.

Toxick

Splat
BuddyLee said:

I think it's a great idea to separate pop-rocks from the soda.

I also think it's a great idea to separate the bleach from the ammonia.

Since mixing boys and girls causes the same effervescent behavior as the above mention compounds - such as grandstanding, bling-blinging, hot-dogging, chest-beating, and eyelid batting - I think it's not a bad idea to at least try this.

But, I think they should all share recess, lunch, and extracirricular activities.

How else are they going to get laid?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was schooled in a co-ed environment and did just fine. Never felt shorted or ignored, nor did I feel favored over the boys.

School is where children and teenagers learn to socialize. If you remove the opposite gender from the equation, they won't be able to practice dealing with each other for when they're adults.

Let's change the experiment a bit. Supposedly blacks and whites learn differently (so sayeth the WashPost in a huge story a few months back). What if we separate blacks and whites into different schools or even just different classrooms? How do you like it now?

Actually, they tried that back in the day - "segregation" is what they called it.

Toxick

Splat
Tonio said:
I don't think we can ever prove whether gender differences in behavior are the product of nature or nurture or some combination.

If you believe in evolution, I don't see how it could be anything but axiomatic that differences between the sexes are hard-wired. Evolutionary, males and females serve very distinct purposes, on the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.

Not to mention that every other week we see how our tax dollars are being wasted on collecting stunning new evidence that boys and girls really are different.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Toxick said:
If you believe in evolution, I don't see how it could be anything but axiomatic that differences between the sexes are hard-wired. Evolutionary, males and females serve very distinct purposes, on the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
Plus they've done experiments where they raised infant girls as boys, and infant boys as girls, hoping to prove that gender differences are learned and not innate. Never worked - all they ended up with were little girls cuddling Tonka trucks and little boys trying to shoot each other with Barbie dolls.

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
Never worked - all they ended up with were little girls cuddling Tonka trucks and little boys trying to shoot each other with Barbie dolls.

Testosterone = aggression, plain and simple.

That stuff messes up your brain.

(Cheapshot) ... But not to the extent that estrogen does - ba-da-bing!

be gentle with the red krama

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
School is where children and teenagers learn to socialize. If you remove the opposite gender from the equation, they won't be able to practice dealing with each other for when they're adults.

I agree completely.

vraiblonde said:
Actually, they tried that back in the day - "segregation" is what they called it.

True. One of its stated objectives was to counteract interracial dating.

Toxick said:

I think that's very possible. To me, that would be one more reason for society not to have gender expectations. If kids are hard-wired to act a certain way based on gender, then it's wrong to push them in a certain direction, even if it's the hard-wired direction. There are some parents who believe (incorrectly, in my view), that girls who aren't pushed to be feminine will grow up to be man-hating lesbians and that boys who aren't pushed to be masculine will end up like Christopher Lowell.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Toxick said:
Testosterone = aggression, plain and simple.

I've heard the claim that marriage is necessary "to tame men's wilder sides." I'm uncomfortable with that claim, because it implies that men aren't capable of learning responsible behavior. The science fiction fan in me sees that claim as justification for an imaginary matriarchy where men are kept in solitary confinement for their own good. Author Robert Heinlein once wrote that 18-year-old boys should be kept in barrels and fed through the barrel's bungs.

Toxick

Splat
Tonio said:
I've heard the claim that marriage is necessary "to tame men's wilder sides." I'm uncomfortable with that claim, because it implies that men aren't capable of learning responsible behavior.

Thus is the difference between man and beast. The ability to rise above instinctual behavior and act like you have some sense.

That and less hair.

Usually.

Plus I like to think that I was a civilized human being capable of behaving in polite company, long before Mrs. Toxick came around. Even when I was living alone, I tried not to behave like a slovenly pig.

Although I did allow myself the luxury of loudly expelling any gas that needed expelling.

And not bothering with clothing (less laundry).

And loud music. (nekkie dancing)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Toxick said:
Even when I was living alone, I tried not to behave like a slovenly pig.
That's because you had a mother whose job it was to make you palatable for the future Mrs. Toxick.

Pete

Repete
Toxick said:
Plus I like to think that I was a civilized human being capable of behaving in polite company, long before Mrs. Toxick came around. Even when I was living alone, I tried not to behave like a slovenly pig.
Me too, recently I have decided it was a waste of time and I have gone total swine. :yay: