Mosquito Control in Charles Co.?

Surf City Baby

For the life of me, I can't seem to connect with anyone in Charles Co. that knows about county mosquito control. I've bounced around from public services to health dept. to something called "settlement control...."

All I need to know is

* Does Charles County have a mosquito control program?

* If so, how does one get in touch with them?

* If not, how can I know what's an environmentally-safe insecticide to put in a gully full of stagnant water near my property?

Thanks to all

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by justhangn
Dirt works wonders. :cheers:

Good idea. I'd throw dirt in there if that water didn't actually flow from time to time. It comes through a big pipe and goes to god knows where. But most of the time it is still.

I don't want to mess anything up, and until I can reach someone at Chas. Co. who can come out and tell me what the little channel is for and where it goes, I don't feel right doing anything.

Surf City Baby

In the hopes that someone who knows might read the thread:

Does anyone know where in Charles County -- or even St. Mary's, Calvert, or P.G. -- I can buy Mosquito Bits and Mosquito Dunks? (Go to link for a view of the product, a.k.a. "Quick Kill Mosquitoes") If not, can anyone suggest any other environmentally safe way to kill mosquito larvae (besides dirt & fire; see below)? :biggrin:

Thanks for any help. :cheers:

I went down to the gully to clean up trash today and found that the little waterway was flowing, thanks to the nearly 7 inches of rain this month. So that's not where my mosquito problem is currently originating from.

Aside: It was a drag to find so much trash down there. I picked up, among other things, scores of plastic shopping bags, parts of an old cooler, several beer bottles, a dented doorknob, and ancient soda cans -- one had the old pull-tab top.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Get the mosquito dunks from Sam's Club. If you can't find them there, I've also ordered them from Gardener's Supply (www.gardeners.com). Gardener's Supply also has the bits.

Last edited:

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by jazz lady
My husband got the mosquito dunks from Sam's Club. If you can't find them there, I've also ordered them from Gardener's Supply (www.gardeners.com). Gardener's Supply also has the bits.

Great! Thanks, Jazz.

(Dig your avatar, btw. Reminds me of a little white cat story....)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Surf City Baby
Great! Thanks, Jazz.

(Dig your avatar, btw. Reminds me of a little white cat story....)

You're welcome.

The cat is called Neko. It used to be a little program you could install on your PC and it would chase your cursor around in Windows 3.X. Yes, it was THAT long ago. :lol:

I used to have a white cat that he reminds me of, even though I only had him a year or so. After 10+ years, I still miss him.