Most 2022 GM Vehicles Will Have The Seatbelt Interlock

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Most 2022 GM Vehicles Will Have The Seatbelt Interlock All Cars Should Have Had 48 Years Ago

We have been in favor of seatbelt interlocks here at Jalopnik for quite some time, as we want driving to be as safe as possible for everyone. As an added benefit of that, our insurance rates would likely go down a bit. Seatbelt use in the U.S. is higher than it has ever been, with the IIHS reporting 86 percent of drivers belting up. More than half of people who die in vehicle crashes, however, are not clicking it. If even a small percentage of those deaths could be prevented by seatbelt interlocks, it’s worth implementing across the board.

Kudos to General Motors for doing something that probably should have been done half a century ago. It’s a good idea that needs to be implemented across its entire product line in short order. Here’s the part where I find something shitty to say about GM, however, because the Buckle To Drive software is completely defeatable in the vehicle’s settings. I’m not going to even tell you how to disable it, however, because that’s irresponsible. Keep Buckle To Drive on, and wear your damn seatbelt.

I would argue that this is a tiny step in the right direction, as the technology exists to determine if a person is sitting in the seat, and whether their belt is buckled. This should not be limited only to the driver, the shifter should not function unless everyone in the vehicle is buckled. GM has apparently been working to implement this to all people in the front seats, but let’s take this another level. Sitting in a seat? Wear the belt. It could save your life.

I disagree ...... Auto Manufactures tried this crap in the 70's

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Looks like my buddy Jeff will have to start looking at other makes. He refuses to use a seat belt, but likes his Chevy trucks.

DaSDGuy

I tend to request everyone wears a seatbelt when I'm driving. It isn't that I'm concerned about their safety (because obviously they aren't either) but I really don't want to make a panic stop and have a 180 pound missile flying out of the back seat and breaking my neck.

HemiHauler

The reason to always wear a seatbelt is to keep law enforcement from sticking their noses in your car. Seatbelt use, or more accurately, non seatbelt use is a primary offense and why give them an excuse?

Really couldn’t care less. Wouldn’t drive a GM product if you gave it to me.

It’s nanny state BS.

glhs837

Power with Control
If even a small percentage of those deaths could be prevented by seatbelt interlocks, it’s worth implementing across the board.

My GOD!!!!!! Oh HELLS NO!!!!!!! This line of reasoning is soo friken scary.......

I always wear a belt, learned early on trying to find the cornering limits of Moms K-car with the vinyl seat. Was a lot harder to steer when a lot of my arm strength was busy trying to keep me behind the wheel. That said, there are times when I wait til I'm ready to enter the main roadway to put it on. I might not in a parking lot, of here on the private road. Disabled the nag chime in every vehicle that allows it. A lot have a "secret bypass" for those for rural mail carriers and other unique applications. Doesnt kill the light, but only bongs once then shuts up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Disabled the nag chime in every vehicle that allows it. A lot have a "secret bypass" for those for rural mail carriers and other unique applications. Doesnt kill the light, but only bongs once then shuts up.

I did this on my Town and Country

glhs837

Power with Control
I did this on my Town and Country

Not sure why this carries so much, my 2003 Neon SRT, my 2006 SRT-8, and the 2015 Jeep, all have the bypass. There some rebel leader hidden in the depths of that organization. Same guy who kept the "key dance" alive for pulling codes, I suspect. Jeep also lets me resest the oil life pretty simply.

limblips

PREMO Member
My GOD!!!!!! Oh HELLS NO!!!!!!! This line of reasoning is soo friken scary.......

A lot have a "secret bypass" for those for rural mail carriers and other unique applications. Doesnt kill the light, but only bongs once then shuts up.
Daughter is a rural carrier USPS is adamant that they wear seat belts. If they are injured while not wearing one the SHTF but to perform the job she needs to exit the vehicle very often. Catch 22.