Motorcycle deaths rise

BuddyLee

Football addict
Motorcycle fatalities nationwide have surged to their highest levels since 1987, even as overall highway deaths continue to decline.

Last year, 4,008 motorcycle riders were killed in highway accidents, up 7.9% from 2003 and 89% higher than in 1997, according to a new National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report. Meanwhile, passenger car deaths dropped 3.2% to 19,091 last year.

Rae Tyson, spokesman for the highway administration, said blame may lie partly with states that have scaled back helmet laws. A study released by the agency Monday showed an 81% rise in motorcycle deaths in Florida in a three-year period after the state repealed its law in 2000.

Motorcycle groups opposed to helmet laws point to the changing face of bikers. Jeff Rabe, lobbyist for the Modified Motorcycle Association of California, said more "middle-aged executives" are riding powerful machines without training. "There's a huge group of people ages 35 to 50 who have purchased motorcycles," Rabe said. "But they're still beginning riders."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-08-motorcycle-deaths_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

willie

It doesn't sound like they are taking into consideration the HUGE increase in bikes since 1987. Traffic, in general has greatly increased but not as much as bikes, IMHO.

marianne

willie said:
It doesn't sound like they are taking into consideration the HUGE increase in bikes since 1987. Traffic, in general has greatly increased but not as much as bikes, IMHO.

The article goes on to address that issue...

"But more motorcycles don't account for the entire increase. The fatality rate is also on the rise. In 2003, the most recent year for which statistics are available for motorcycles, the fatality rate was 38.38 per 100 million miles traveled. In 2002, that figure was 34.23. By contrast, the fatality rate for all highway drivers has improved for decades and in 2004 was 1.46 per 100 million miles traveled."

"The increase in motorcycle deaths has spurred Congress to add $3 million to a federal transportation bill for a study on motorcycle crashes. President Bush is set to sign the measure this week. "What we need now are answers, not theories," said Tom Lindsay, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association."

willie

The jerkholes riding the crotch rockets are the root of all evil. While approaching Woodyard Road at about 65 mph last Friday at 11 AM I was passed by one that was going at least 60 mph faster than my speed. I rarely see a large bike rider acting like an ass.

Tomcat

Anytime
willie said:
The jerkholes riding the crotch rockets are the root of all evil. While approaching Woodyard Road at about 65 mph last Friday at 11 AM I was passed by one that was going at least 60 mph faster than my speed. I rarely see a large bike rider acting like an ass.
:yeahthat: or most anywhere around the beltway, or rt235

Otter

Nothing to see here
willie said:

:yeahthat: See the most asinine riding on Rte 4 in that area and also the beltway.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I can't complain, i finally saw justice done to those guys.......coming home about 11/12 from baltimore, 8 of them flew by me doing close to about 120 easy! A few miles later, they were on the side of the road in cuffs....it was sweet to see!!!!!

That is sweet! I was going to say basically the same thing as everyone else, you watch these guys weave in and out of traffic cutting off cars and basically disregarding their own safety. Then you add the guys that decide that a highway is the best place to do their "tricks", not a good thing.

Ponytail

Cracks me up. On Yahoo discussions, folks are blaming the Harley Riders.

I think it's a combination. I think you'll see that the deaths are spread pretty even, I suspect tilted even toward the cruiser types. One of the reasons I quit going to Bike Week events was the number of folks riding big bikes, that had no business being on mopeds even. Until attitudes of the new riders become more of a "defensive rider" than the typical cocky "bulletproof" attitude that Reality TV seems to love to portray, riders are going to continue to be killed. No helmet laws will ever help save lives either. People aren't any smarter with a helmet. It's a helmet, not an antenna or energy source.

Ponytail

If a study is done, I want to see the following:

# of deaths of riders age 18-25, 26-35, 36-45, 46 up. I want to see the average number of TOTAL miles ridden among those killed in those age ranges. I want to see the type of bike, how far from home, and whether or not they were wearing helmets and I want to see how many involved a cager and where the fault of the accident lies, whether it be with the cager or the biker.

And I'd like to see the same statistics of the riders where a passenger that was killed is concerned.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ATGATT.. helmet's not going to help much as your skin is being abraded to the bone on asphalt, as your body is decelerating through the sloughing off of skin, muscle and bone. What percent of ones body will be used up if dressed in T-shirt and shorts and decelerating from 75 - 0, skipping down the asphalt??

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just to take a walk off subject...

...isn't it amazing, 16,000 auto deaths, 4,000 bikers buying the farm.

Per year.

Wonder how many crippling injuries?

Just for perspectives sake we've lost 1,800 soldiers KIA and another what, 12,000 or so seriously wounded. In a combat zone. In 2 1/2 years. Trying to nurture democracy in a hostile region.

20,000 people die very year, of accidents, doing something that isn't suppossed to be belligerently dangerous, on the road and we deal with it once a year when the bodies are all counted. Ho hum.

Now, in all seriousness, shouldn't there be some hue and cry about the Presidents 'ineffective' highway safety program?

Or, conversely, a huge 'hell yeah' for how well our people in uniform are doing in a tough situation?

Or both?