Mound septic system regulations in St. Mary's

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Is anyone familiar with septic regulations in St. Mary's? I need to know the minimum lot size requirements for building a home in an area without waste water removal systems.

The lot next to me is going on the market and I'd like to know if it's possible for someone to build there. The lot will probably not pass a perc test. It's 1/2 acre, and a mound system is the only way I see, that anyone could improve it. The owners want to bail because they are retiring, moving south, and to them it's just a tax burden. I'm thinking it would be a nice lot to build a garage.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not really up to date on the requirements but you should be able to find it in COMAR Title 26, Maryland Department of the Environment, Subtitle 04: Regulation of Water Supply, Sewage Disposal and Solid Waste. These regulations relate to the installation and maintenance of septic systems for homes and businesses not utilizing public sewage systems. - http://www.dsd.state.md.us/COMAR/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=26.04.02.*

As to lot size one would need to know how the property is zoned. Check this to see if it helps - http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs/Article3.pdf

Last edited:

hitchicken

If you go to the St. Mary's County Environmental Health Dept in Leonardtown, there is good news and bad news. The good news is you won't have to do any exhausting research or make any decisions regarding septic systems on the property. They will make them for you (particularly if there is water feeding any tributary of the Chesapeake Bay within 1000'.) The bad news is you will have to pay dearly for the decisions they make for you plus adherence to the restrictions, inspections and future expenses they will saddle you with.

If it's just a garage you want, is a perc test/septic system needed if there is no running water or septic needs?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was recently forced to become an "expert" on septic system options in St. Mary's county, although more focused on Critical Area requirements. The folks at the Health Dept. can and will provide you the guidance and information you need in short order.

Regardless of whether you need to install one of the mound solutions or not, you still have to have a perc test and the window for those to be done this season is probably closed already. The "wet season" perc test window was extended some this spring due to wet winter but I'm pretty sure it's closed now.

PeoplesElbow

I was recently forced to become an "expert" on septic system options in St. Mary's county, although more focused on Critical Area requirements. The folks at the Health Dept. can and will provide you the guidance and information you need in short order.

Regardless of whether you need to install one of the mound solutions or not, you still have to have a perc test and the window for those to be done this season is probably closed already. The "wet season" perc test window was extended some this spring due to wet winter but I'm pretty sure it's closed now.
I am getting one next week, scheduled it a few weeks ago though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I am getting one next week, scheduled it a few weeks ago though.
When I was meeting with them back in March about getting one done, they said they were extending the perc window well in to April, but didn't have a shut down date yet. I expect they have a date by now. Are you replacing an existing system or new construction? We're replacing a failing one and in the critical area to boot...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My concern with the perc test and mound system is to the value of the lot. When it goes on the market, there's a huge difference in the value if it's buildable or not. I was just wondering if there was a legal size limit on how large the parcel had to be for new construction. Thanks for all the input.

PeoplesElbow

When I was meeting with them back in March about getting one done, they said they were extending the perc window well in to April, but didn't have a shut down date yet. I expect they have a date by now. Are you replacing an existing system or new construction? We're replacing a failing one and in the critical area to boot...
New

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We're replacing a failing one...so we qualify for grant funding of the required treatment tank system (BAT, they call them) but have to pay for the new drain field which will most likely have to be one of the mound type. Do you have to install a BAT system, or just a standard septic tank?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thanks for the input, Mr. King. From what I gather, a lot in my zone must be 1 acre to build a home currently, passing perc or not. Now my only concern is that some commercial company may see it as a nice place for a satellite storage facility.

Recently a 1 acre lot in my neighborhood sold at an extremely low price. Basically a wooded lot with no chance of passing a perc. The next thing I know there's a 2 story house/garage combo and a separate enclosed garage that will conceal a large semi truck. The remainder of the parcel is reclaimed asphalt parking for big rigs, with a very small buffer roadside. I've heard the county came down hard on the owner, but after a month, I don't see any changes...

The Realtor said she will research the property and give me first crack at it. I really can't see anyone else being too interested in it, unless Asian Tiger Mosquitoes become a delicacy anytime soon.