Mountain lion believed to have attacked 6-year-old is caught and killed

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We used to hike there when I was a kid. We had to watch for rattlesnakes, not mountain lions.

luvmygdaughters

but why? I don't understand why they do this. To teach the other mountain lions a lesson? I mean, the mountain lions are just doing what they do -- and that is go after prey. I don't understand why humans rush to kill either lions/sharks/bears, etc when they attack humans.
I thinks its because the animal that attacked has lost fear of humans and will most likely attack again. It is a shame, but, what else are they going to do?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have also read reports of the lions coming down from the mountains and being spotted in the yards of homes in neighborhoods.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

but why? I don't understand why they do this. To teach the other mountain lions a lesson? I mean, the mountain lions are just doing what they do -- and that is go after prey. I don't understand why humans rush to kill either lions/sharks/bears, etc when they attack humans.
Most likely because the kid is a budding democrat. Had the kid been a republican, PETA would be slamming the kid for trying to feed herself to the lion, and feeding stations scented with 'republican', would be strategically placed to further encourage those mountain lions.

rmorse

Like it's been mentioned already in this thread, it's because the anima has shown that it recognizes humans as prey. Most animals do not...once an animal starts viewing humans as part of their food chain, the animal has to go. It's unfortunate but that's life.

Edit - They do the same thing with bears even if they never attack a human. If people leave food out at campgrounds and a bear figures out that humans = food, it will start hanging out around humans. Most campgrounds "dispose" of a bear that has figured out that humans = food.

nobody really

I need a nap
Like it's been mentioned already in this thread, it's because the anima has shown that it recognizes humans as prey. Most animals do not...once an animal starts viewing humans as part of their food chain, the animal has to go. It's unfortunate but that's life.

Edit - They do the same thing with bears even if they never attack a human. If people leave food out at campgrounds and a bear figures out that humans = food, it will start hanging out around humans. Most campgrounds "dispose" of a bear that has figured out that humans = food.
I don't think they do that (and I can only speak of Colorado). They won't let you camp unless you produce a bear proof food container. I only know this cuz the half dozen times I've been out there, I always hear stories of bears invading campgrounds, and three bears totally tore up this woman's jeep trying to get food (with her sleeping in it!) . Rangers (and the woman) said it was her fault because she had a crap ton of food in her jeep. If they shot every black bear that rummaged through trash, they may be extinct

rmorse

I don't think they do that (and I can only speak of Colorado). They won't let you camp unless you produce a bear proof food container. I only know this cuz the half dozen times I've been out there, I always hear stories of bears invading campgrounds, and three bears totally tore up this woman's jeep trying to get food (with her sleeping in it!) . Rangers (and the woman) said it was her fault because she had a crap ton of food in her jeep. If they shot every black bear that rummaged through trash, they may be extinct

I was speaking to a ranger in Shenandoah and that is what they have to do with the bears that have identified humans as a food source. Not a random bear rummaging through the campground.

shrug He might have been BSing.