Moving To Tennessee...

WingsOfGold

Not that I don't already love my small mountain here in Pennsultucky but we are SICK of the property TAXES. Almost 6 grand every year... 4500 of it is school taxes on a very modest ranch with 7 acres. Sorry but the little bastards don't NEED swimming pools in every HS and 50 sports funded by property owners. (renters ride for free) I've only been here 5 years (moved from Eastern Shore) but looking at finances we can buy much MORE mountain property with less than 1/5 the taxes.
Reacharound when we write the check you ask? Hell no, the somebitches won't even shovel my driveway!

Anybody here ever owned property there? Yes sales taxes are high BUT no income tax... that's a biggie! Looking NW corner, Mountain View and Bristol areas. Leaving on the 2nd for a exploratory mission. Canceled vacation to Mount Washington.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have friends that retired early and moved to TN because of the tax benefits. They seem quite happy there. Best of luck to you!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Anybody here ever owned property there? Yes sales taxes are high BUT no income tax... that's a biggie!

I have friends that retired early and moved to TN because of the tax benefits. They seem quite happy there. Best of luck to you!
We thought about TN. But the sales tax.... And the high taxes on non-IRA type investments.... We just couldn't make it work (I'd have to live far longer than I have left to make the move financially logical).

Prices on eastern side (Bristol down thru Elizabethton, Maryville, down to Tellico Plains have skyrocketed (relatively) since we visited a few years ago. Apparently, that part of TN is the new destination for NY'ers (FL, GA, NC Research Triangle, etc. are so 1990s). Mountain View is out of that area so maybe you'll be lucky.

Not trying to be a downer..., so let me end by saying "Best Wishes" and "Good Luck!"

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love Gatlinburg and Monello loves Nashville. Knoxville seems nice.

Where in TN are you looking at?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
4500 of it is school taxes on a very modest ranch with 7 acres. Sorry but the little bastards don't NEED swimming pools in every HS and 50 sports funded by property owners. (renters ride for free)

Renters sort of kick in when they pay their rent. Then the property owner pays the taxes. Those taxes are blended into the rent charged to the tenants.

Monello

PREMO Member
I love Gatlinburg and Monello loves Nashville. Knoxville seems nice.

Where in TN are you looking at?

I prefer Nashville as a city to visit. Doubt I would ever want to live in that area. I could live in the Gatlinburg area as long as I could sneak away for 3 months in the winter.

transporter

Not that I don't already love my small mountain here in Pennsultucky but we are SICK of the property TAXES. Almost 6 grand every year... 4500 of it is school taxes on a very modest ranch with 7 acres. Sorry but the little bastards don't NEED swimming pools in every HS and 50 sports funded by property owners. (renters ride for free) I've only been here 5 years (moved from Eastern Shore) but looking at finances we can buy much MORE mountain property with less than 1/5 the taxes.
Reacharound when we write the check you ask? Hell no, the somebitches won't even shovel my driveway!

Anybody here ever owned property there? Yes sales taxes are high BUT no income tax... that's a biggie! Looking NW corner, Mountain View and Bristol areas. Leaving on the 2nd for a exploratory mission. Canceled vacation to Mount Washington.

UFB...you moved to PA because they had no income tax right? Didn't bother to look at other taxes, right?

You are bitching because you have to pay property taxes on 7 acre parcel? Poor...poor dear. Why didn't you buy a smaller piece of property? Why didn't you look at all the taxes BEFORE you moved?

You think it will be any different in TN?

Are you really that stupid to think that renters aren't paying the property tax in their rent??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
UFB...you moved to PA because they had no income tax right? Didn't bother to look at other taxes, right?

You are bitching because you have to pay property taxes on 7 acre parcel? Poor...poor dear. Why didn't you buy a smaller piece of property? Why didn't you look at all the taxes BEFORE you moved?

Are you really that stupid to think that renters aren't paying the property tax in their rent??
Will you get the **** over yourself.. not everyone (anyone) gives a ratsass about your opinion. Can't be an adult and just say.. HEY good luck on your move??

What a pissant you've become

Monello

PREMO Member

I guess you just can't help yourself, can you?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I guess you just can't help yourself, can you?
Whatever credibility TP had left (admittedly little), it has now been flushed down the toilet. What a sorry post. For a person to be so unable to distinguish between posts where one expects political bickering, etc. with a "neutral" post seeking information and adjust commenting accordingly..., wow.

The saddest thing in all of this is that we most likely won't see an apology.

But I am not without hope that one day something changes (Luke 15:24).

--- End of line (MCP)

WingsOfGold

Renters sort of kick in when they pay their rent. Then the property owner pays the taxes. Those taxes are blended into the rent charged to the tenants.
In theory yes BUT the rents aren't high enough nor could they be to cover the cost.

WingsOfGold

LOLOLOL no I moved to Pa because of wifes job. It was a great gig at the time but NOW she totally telecommutes she has moved onto even better. I'd STILL take it over the shlthole state I moved from even though taxes were less. I'm retired hotshot, BOTH my retirements are NOT taxed here just as they wouldn't be in TN. You sound like a angry renter without a pot to piss in and never a chance to have one, must suck to be you once your mothers section 8 basement floods.
In short, yes TN looks to have considerable advantages. Truth is the difference between 7 and 2 acres is negligible. I bought what I did because I EARNED it. I can do whatever I like on my property from fireworks to 30-06 practice... again, must suck to be you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gah. Property tax bill just showed up. I remember when $600/month was a mortgage payment!!....

I think about holding on to the place after it's paid for and I retire, But throwing so much away every month for practically nothing.....hard to stomach that. I could buy a lot of Corona and ammo every month with $600.... ;-p

Gah. Property tax bill just showed up. I remember when $600/month was a mortgage payment!!....

I think about holding on to the place after it's paid for and I retire, But throwing so much away every month for practically nothing.....hard to stomach that. I could buy a lot of Corona and ammo every month with $600.... ;-p
Not many of us have the views and seclusion you do, and it's not a small piece of land. I'd love to have your land, but couldn't afford it.

Got my tax bill too. It's doubled since moving here in '94, but it's still $3300/yr less than I was paying for less property in NY.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not many of us have the views and seclusion you do, and it's not a small piece of land. I'd love to have your land, but couldn't afford it.

Got my tax bill too. It's doubled since moving here in '94, but it's still $3300/yr less than I was paying for less property in NY.

NY taxes and Cali taxes..yeah, a special kind of ridiculous. and different reference for comparison. We want a place out in the sticks with land suitable for horses...so the trick is finding that and still hanging on to the one we've got, because part of me wants to have both. That might not be realistic.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
NY taxes and Cali taxes..yeah, a special kind of ridiculous. and different reference for comparison. We want a place out in the sticks with land suitable for horses...so the trick is finding that and still hanging on to the one we've got, because part of me wants to have both. That might not be realistic.

So you want horses and water access?

Water Polo?