Moving To Tennessee...

ifxtrks

Not that I don't already love my small mountain here in Pennsultucky but we are SICK of the property TAXES. Almost 6 grand every year... 4500 of it is school taxes on a very modest ranch with 7 acres. Sorry but the little bastards don't NEED swimming pools in every HS and 50 sports funded by property owners. (renters ride for free) I've only been here 5 years (moved from Eastern Shore) but looking at finances we can buy much MORE mountain property with less than 1/5 the taxes.
Reacharound when we write the check you ask? Hell no, the somebitches won't even shovel my driveway!

Anybody here ever owned property there? Yes sales taxes are high BUT no income tax... that's a biggie! Looking NW corner, Mountain View and Bristol areas. Leaving on the 2nd for a exploratory mission. Canceled vacation to Mount Washington.
Just to let you know, Alabama has the lowest ad-velorum taxes in the lower 48. My wife owns 5 acres undeveloped (we want to build when we retire) and the annual taxes are about $175.00.

WingsOfGold

Good advice but humidity would be murder anymore. Looked at 4 today, one maybe but it's very dated bt the 28 acres are nice. Tomorrow More Tennessee and some Virginia, already called on personal property tax, more of a nuisance tax really $1.65 per thousand on the 3 vehicles, still a fraction of the school tax I'm paying now even if it is a thousand or so dollars.

WingsOfGold

That's another major factor in my wanting to keep the place here in the county....I'd have to get rid of, or transport, so darned much stuff if I decided to sell the property. An entire farbrication and machine shop, for example... ;-( Tough choices. I may do like you are and put a silly high price on the place so if I do get it....I could afford to make some more happy choices about what to do with all our "stuff"...
Crap in the basement reproduces no exaggeration I bet I have nearly 100 golf clubs. I'm an auction junkie and my hand has kneejerk reactions to bid. :mad:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Crap in the basement reproduces no exaggeration I bet I have nearly 100 golf clubs. I'm an auction junkie and my hand has kneejerk reactions to bid. :mad:

:lol: When we moved from Calvert to Montgomery, we had to clean out over 20 years of stuff. It was a yikes! At the end of cleaning out stuff, it was like who cares. I miss some stuff we got rid of, but we brought all the golf clubs; son’s and hub’s. My advice to all y’all. Clean out, and do it often. So many places to donate stuff. Wish you the best, WOG, in your decisions, and move. :)

WingsOfGold

:lol: When we moved from Calvert to Montgomery, we had to clean out over 20 years of stuff. It was a yikes! At the end of cleaning out stuff, it was like who cares. I miss some stuff we got rid of, but we brought all the golf clubs; son’s and hub’s. My advice to all y’all. Clean out, and do it often. So many places to donate stuff. Wish you the best, WOG, in your decisions, and move. :)
I'm giving away, throwing away and keeping tons of stuff. Golf clubs that I'll never use and ammunition, tens of thousands of rounds that I'll never shoot if I live to be 114. Guy stuff that makes him feel rich! 😁

littlelady

God bless the USA
I'm giving away, throwing away and keeping tons of stuff. Golf clubs that I'll never use and ammunition, tens of thousands of rounds that I'll never shoot if I live to be 114. Guy stuff that makes him feel rich! 😁

I just went in the garage to count the clubs...32...:faint: As far as ammunition, there was no question. It came with us. It makes us feel rich, too. 😁

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well...you know what they say; you never have too much ammo unless you are drowning or on fire.

WingsOfGold

Well we combed Tennessee, looked at MANY properties and it just didn't happen BUT we did find a nice largeissh for 2 stone and cedar house... RIVERFRONT in Duffield Virginia. (Clinch River) Totally off the grid, 7 mile gravel road one way, 4 miles the other but what the hell, we made an offer, they countered, we accepted. 6 1/2 acre mostly wooded to top of mountain, 300' riverfront. Not sure yet what we will do about phone and internet. The swinging bridge is about 1/2 mile down on gravel road. MANY deer and turkey seen, was told bear was quite common. We were in Rogersville area when Earnhardts plane crashed, maybe 4 miles away. No motels to be had on Friday so we stayed in Salem I think it was. (good Mexican restaurant)
Now if I can eek a dozen years out of this old body all will be well with the world.
The bad,...... tire with 7500 miles was seriously going down on gravel road, made it the 17 miles to nearest tire place that did not have 20 inch truck tires in stock so I bought a used one, this was Friday. Will be sure and get another on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2892.JPG
    IMG_2892.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2889.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

WingsOfGold

Can get both via HughesNet.
I had it here about 5 years ago, slow and when I had problems I needed 10 different language interpreters. Wound up SCREAMING just cancel it and have been using Verizon MyFi ever since but since we don't get a signal there.... :mad: Hughes might be in the running again, have Direct TV now, might Dish be better? Will the Hughesnet work on Verizon phones?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Will the Hughesnet work on Verizon phones?
Hughes net phone comes with a device you hook to the router that you plug your landline type phone into. I use an ATT base and wireless phones and it works great.

For internet I get speeds in the 18 to 20 meg download and about 3 upload.

WingsOfGold

Hughes net phone comes with a device you hook to the router that you plug your landline type phone into. I use an ATT base and wireless phones and it works great.

For internet I get speeds in the 18 to 20 meg download and about 3 upload.
Thanks for the info but much of it is Greek to me. I assume those speeds are fast? Wife does internet accounting teaching for several colleges, speed is a must to be able to access.
Will they supply the router and hookup complete system?

Thanks for info, can that be used for our Verizon cells?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Thanks for the info but much of it is Greek to me. I assume those speeds are fast? Wife does internet accounting teaching for several colleges, speed is a must to be able to access.
Will they supply the router and hookup complete system?

Thanks for info, can that be used for our Verizon cells?
They did for me, installed the pole, the dish, ran cable and hooked up the wifi-router. I found out about the voice option after the fact and they sent the device that I plugged into the router and hooked phone up to. The speeds claimed are a lot better than DSL but nowhere near fiber optic or cable speeds, so I don't know if it will work for the teaching aspect or not. You can skype and stream but I don't do that stuff as they are data hogs and I have the smallest data package.

As for your cells I am unsure if you mean for calls, I would say no, but I again am unsure as I don't use them out here since my Wilson boost system died.

WingsOfGold

Boxing, cleaning, throwing out, packing and unbolting the safes from the floor............... whatta PITA! Movers said they would haul if they were locked in safe with inventory count. This is just one safe! :thewave:

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 172