Mowing Your Lawn - You Are A Colonizer

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But the traditional lawn – manicured, verdant, under control – now finds itself at the confluence of two hot-button issues: climate change and Indigenous rights. Some environmentalists, First Nations leaders and even hobby gardeners are calling for a different approach to how we view and treat the ubiquitous urban green space. It is, they argue, a lasting symbol of how settlers appropriated Indigenous land and culture. And the rigid Western ideal we have imposed continues to hurt the planet and, in turn, all of us. The lawn, some go as far to say, needs to be decolonized.

“What is a lawn but a statement of control over nature?” asks John Douglas Belshaw, a Canadian history professor at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, B.C.

“That’s a huge part of settler culture. You see that river there? We can dam that. We can organize that water, we can make that water work for us. It’s essentially the same mindset. I can reorganize this landscape, flatten it, plant lawn, find a non-indigenous species of plant, of grass, and completely extract anything that’s not homogenous, that doesn’t fit with this green pattern and control it ... A backyard with a big lawn is like a classroom for colonialism and environmental hostility.”

Changing a landscape to make it suitable for a different incoming culture is a key part of colonization, he says, and that is exactly how lawns in Canada and the United States came to be.

black dog

Free America
I do neighborhood mosquito control sometimes at the same time I mow the lawn with a 2 stroke Lawnboy...

Its like rolling coal with a push mower.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some professor: "You know, when you do that...."
Me: "STFU psycho :shutup: "

Anyway, if you ever wonder why young people are so effed up, this is why - we pay big money to send them to indoctrination camps to be brainwashed by cult leaders disguised as "college professors".