Mozilla CEO pressured to resign

itsrequired

Holy crap! Really?
Eich was FORCED to make that choice. It’s in virtually every article you can find. Why are into asking really stupid questions? If you are going to accuse me of saying something stupid, you should at least make sure you are wording it properly. I am asking where the line is drawn.

(Rhetorical scenario) You believe in abortion. I don’t. I am so emphatically angry that you want to kill babies that I am not just going to stop at disagreeing with you; I am going on a campaign to boycott your company to pressure you to quit or fire you. And wherever you go I am going to do the same to make sure you never hold a job again. And I will do this with everyone that supports abortion.

If I am donating money to pro abortion causes, then have at it! That's your right. Do you not think this is already being done? Please!

Does that sound like how things are supposed to work? That sounds like someone exercising their freedom of speech? You're really okay with take civil discourse to a new level of personal vindictiveness to ruin peoples' lives?

This is the way things have been done in this country for decades. You don't think there are anti-abortion groups who haven't targeted doctors? You are very naive.

itsrequired

What part of "corporation" do you not understand? Because I'll be happy to give you a lesson on how a corporation differs from an individual.

You didn't answer the questions. Do heads of corporations not have the right to stop doing business with entities they disagree with?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I get what a coropration is, but the business itself did not make that decision. Individuals who operate that business made that decision. Are you really saying that a corporation should not be allowed to stop doing business with another corporation if they don't agree with that corporate officer's political or philisophical views? That is just stupid.

Where were you when all the corporate sponsors dropped Tiger?

Tiger was a spokesperson for those corporations, and therefore their "face" and image. Eich is no such thing. He's not even a spokesperson for Mozilla. Most people didn't even know his name until this flap.

OKC certainly has a right to stop doing business with another corporation (although, as I've noted a number of times, they didn't really do that, now did they?). They, as a corporation, went on a vendetta against one man - one single man, not another corporation. Had they decided to no longer do business with the corporation, they would no longer be using JS for their website.

So we'll put you down for "Okay with corporations persecuting and destroying the individual". I disagree and think it's bull####.

itsrequired

Tiger was a spokesperson for those corporations, and therefore their "face" and image. Eich is no such thing. He's not even a spokesperson for Mozilla. Most people didn't even know his name until this flap.

OKC certainly has a right to stop doing business with another corporation (although, as I've noted a number of times, they didn't really do that, now did they?). They, as a corporation, went on a vendetta against one man - one single man, not another corporation. Had they decided to no longer do business with the corporation, they would no longer be using JS for their website.

So we'll put you down for "Okay with corporations persecuting and destroying the individual". I disagree and think it's bull####.

If you don't think that Eich wasn't the face of the company to those in the tech world then I have underestimated your intelligence. Yes, put me down with people having the right to exercise their freedom of speech. No matter how you cut it, that is what happened here, on both sides.

PsyOps

Pixelated
So are you saying it is never appropriate to boycott a business in response to a political stance they take?

They didn't just boycott a business. They called for the firing of an individual because he held an opinion on something that differs from theirs. I don’t interpret the hiring of Eich as CEO as Mozilla even remotely saying they agree with his stance on same-sex marriage. I bet it wasn’t even a factor, and it shouldn’t be. I believe Eich would have run the business – as he has since he founded the company – with honesty and fairness to everyone. I believe he was professional enough to know where his personal views end and his professional life begins. Like most of us, we know how to go to work and not take our personal views into the workplace and treat everyone with the respect they deserve. I work with a lot of people who hold opposing views from mine, especially with some very passionate issues I hold, and it is never even an iota of a thought to run them out of their job.

PsyOps

Pixelated
If you are going to accuse me of saying something stupid, you should at least make sure you are wording it properly.

Here we go... once again, no substantive retort, you go after my grammar? I underestimated your intelligence :lol: It's been corrected, and thank you for pointing it out.

This is the way things have been done in this country for decades. You don't think there are anti-abortion groups who haven't targeted doctors? You are very naive.

I know anti-abortion zealots have done all sorts of things that I agree are completely wrong and would never support. Did you expect me to conceded your point here? Two wrongs... :shrug: You've just supported why it's wrong and don't even realize it; unless you believe it's right for anti-abortion zealots to target doctors and bomb abortion clinics?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you don't think that Eich wasn't the face of the company to those in the tech world then I have underestimated your intelligence. Yes, put me down with people having the right to exercise their freedom of speech. No matter how you cut it, that is what happened here, on both sides.

Okay, you go right straight ahead and equate Brendan Eich's fame and recognizability to Tiger Woods'.

And I'm done arguing with you because there's no point. Clearly you're retarded and just trying to piss me off with your stupidity.

itsrequired

They didn't just boycott a business. They called for the firing of an individual because he held an opinion on something that differs from theirs. I don’t interpret the hiring of Eich as CEO as Mozilla even remotely saying they agree with his stance on same-sex marriage. I bet it wasn’t even a factor, and it shouldn’t be. I believe Eich would have run the business – as he has since he founded the company – with honesty and fairness to everyone. I believe he was professional enough to know where his personal views end and his professional life begins. Like most of us, we know how to go to work and not take our personal views into the workplace and treat everyone with the respect they deserve. I work with a lot of people who hold opposing views from mine, especially with some very passionate issues I hold, and it is never even an iota of a thought to run them out of their job.

Weren't employees of Mozilla complaining about him being promoted? I think they have a better grasp on his view point in the workplace than you or I. It doesn't matter though, this is about people who don't like a person being in a position trying to get that person out of that position. Did they say anything about him which wasn't true? Why did he resign?

itsrequired

Okay, you go right straight ahead and equate Brendan Eich's fame and recognizability to Tiger Woods'.

And I'm done arguing with you because there's no point. Clearly you're retarded and just trying to piss me off with your stupidity.

There you go, always going to the lowest form of argument. Name calling. Just because you are an old hag who can't take a viewpoint contrary to your own without resorting to name calling doesn't mean you are right. Blow me, as I am sure that is probably one thing you have done well in your life.

PsyOps

Pixelated
They didn't boycott a business at all. They targeted and ganged up on an individual. Their whole website is based on a Mozilla product.

It's my understanding that it started with OKC posting a banner (or something) that told people visiting their site to stop using Firefox and went on to explain how they disagreed with them hiring Eich as CEO and wanted him out. So while their ultimate target was Eich, they knew they also had to pressure Mozilla to push Eich out.

Chris0nllyn

There you go, always going to the lowest form of argument. Name calling. Just because you are an old hag who can't take a viewpoint contrary to your own without resorting to name calling doesn't mean you are right. Blow me, as I am sure that is probably one thing you have done well in your life.

Pot, meet kettle. :lol:

Ah Gilligan, you are the epitomy of an idiot. You tried to put up stuff to show I was wrong before you read it all. Then, you thought you could delete it and nobody would know. You're and idiot. You have no integrity and can't admit when you are wrong. I'll post what you were trying to delete AGAIN so you won't forget how wrong you are on this issue.

No splitting hairs on that son.
http://forums.somd.com/threads/2877...ossess-A-Gun?p=5362431&viewfull=1#post5362431

I give a ####. It sounds that way to you because you are a d*ck. I didn't say that at all. Pete claimed if he provided the names that would happen. You are too stupid to read all the posts.
http://forums.somd.com/threads/287309-Should-I-be-pissed?p=5357293&viewfull=1#post5357293

PsyOps

Pixelated
Weren't employees of Mozilla complaining about him being promoted? I think they have a better grasp on his view point in the workplace than you or I. It doesn't matter though, this is about people who don't like a person being in a position trying to get that person out of that position. Did they say anything about him which wasn't true? Why did he resign?

Hmmm… I would think if there was any inkling of impropriety those employees would have articulated it. No, that is not the case. Since we’re guessing, it’s my guess that these employees are gay and members of the OKC service and standing behind the cause. There are absolutely no reports of Eich doing anything out of line, pressuring , intimidating, singling out gays, no one fired for being gay, no one harassed because they are gay, nothing…

Again, all reports I’ve read (from a plethora of sources) state that he was FORCED OUT. Too much pressure that probably wasn’t worth it to him to fight. The guy founded the company for crying out loud. I bet he’s still a majority stock holder and still has huge influence over the company; so his resigning probably doesn’t amount to much in terms of how he might run the company as a major shareholder. Are the gay zealots going to force him out of his stocks too?

EDIT: I have to correct myself. Mozilla Corp has no sharholders since profits are floated back into the Mozilla Foundation.

But I would contend Eich will still maintain a huge influence in the company considering his deep involvement in founding the company and developing most of its software. They will always need his expertise.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's my understanding that it started with OKC posting a banner (or something) that told people visiting their site to stop using Firefox and went on to explain how they disagreed with them hiring Eich as CEO and wanted him out. So while their ultimate target was Eich, they knew they also had to pressure Mozilla to push Eich out.

They fixed their homepage code so that when you went to okcupid.com with a Firefox browser, it took you to a splash screen that said they opposed Mozilla because Brendan Eich contributed money to a traditional marriage activist group, and they didn't want you surfing their site with a Firefox browser, please come back with Chrome or IE.

Why I say they didn't boycott Mozilla at all is because they still use the script that was developed by Mozilla employee, Brendan Eich.

Mozilla should have stood on principle and not caved in to the special interest group. They could have let OKC have their tantrum and look like the fascist infants they are, but no....they caved to political correctness. So again, my biggest criticism is for them.

When a child whines for ice cream, and the parent gives in, who is to blame: the child for whining or the parent for giving in?

itsrequired

Hmmm… I would think if there was any inkling of impropriety those employees would have articulated it. No, that is not the case. Since we’re guessing, it’s my guess that these employees are gay and members of the OKC service and standing behind the cause. There are absolutely no reports of Eich doing anything out of line, pressuring , intimidating, singling out gays, no one fired for being gay, no one harassed because they are gay, nothing…

Again, all reports I’ve read (from a plethora of sources) state that he was FORCED OUT. Too much pressure that probably wasn’t worth it to him to fight. The guy founded the company for crying out loud. I bet he’s still a majority stock holder and still has huge influence over the company; so his resigning probably doesn’t amount to much in terms of how he might run the company as a major shareholder. Are the gay zealots going to force him out of his stocks too?

So if he were a majority stock holder, who can "force" him out? He chose to leave. How was he forced. Can you explain that to me? Physically forced? Told they thought it in the best interest of the company that he leaves forced? Tell me?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wish now I'd have saved that screen but at the time I didn't think it would become this big of a deal. Oh no! Some little dating site tards are calling for a boycott! :bawl: :rolleyes:

Apparently little dating site tards are more powerful than I thought.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Right, why don't you pull up the posts before those where they called me names? I fight fire with fire.

No, you're a little candy ass bawl baby who can dish it out but can't take it. YOU'RE the one sniveling about name-calling, not me.

Which just goes to show that I was right, you are indeed retarded, and arguing with you is pointless.