Mrs K's Restaurant (Hotel too)

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I know you did and I did too but like ItalianScallion said, it's a wee pricey for me... well right now anyhow.

I prefer this menu AND the prices.

I was raised in the South and have never had a chitlin. What is a hog maw and how is it prepared in the restaurant?

LadyDi

Really? Ox tails, chitterlings and gyros, hog maws and pig feet. Oh, and the liver and onions.

It sounds like a place I want to try. No sarcasm here.

Maybe I can get Mig on a roadtrip for some southern cooking.

I have had the chitterlings and they are a wee spicy if you like hot peppers but very clean and cooked tenderly too. I'm passing on pig feet as that was never that appealing too me from seeing them when I was teen working in 7-11 down there on 301 and Osborne. Yeah, I opened that then brand new store. The ones pickled in jars turned me off from eating them in any form ever again.

Ox tails were pretty good but a wee tough for me. My nephew in law made them in a crock pot which were really tender. I had gravy and rice and cabbage with them recently.

I haven't tried the gyros as there's a Greek Village establishment in Randallstown MD that is the only place I eat a Gyro in. They have the veal turning upright while the juices fall and he uses them to saute the meat with. It's REAL veal. If I see people coming from a freezer with some already pre-sliced stuff, I pass... and quick.

LadyDi

I prefer this menu AND the prices.

I was raised in the South and have never had a chitlin. What is a hog maw and how is it prepared in the restaurant?

Chitterlings are the pigs intestines and maw is the stomach. Both are boiled and seasoned and served with vinegar of your choice - apple, rice or white.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I have had the chitterlings and they are a wee spicy if you like hot peppers but very clean and cooked tenderly too. I'm passing on pig feet as that was never that appealing too me from seeing them when I was teen working in 7-11 down there on 301 and Osborne. Yeah, I opened that then brand new store. The ones pickled in jars turned me off from eating them in any form ever again.

Ox tails were pretty good but a wee tough for me. My nephew in law made them in a crock pot which were really tender. I had gravy and rice and cabbage with them recently.

I haven't tried the gyros as there's a Greek Village establishment in Randallstown MD that is the only place I eat a Gyro in. They have the veal turning upright while the juices fall and he uses them to saute the meat with. It's REAL veal. If I see people coming from a freezer with some already pre-sliced stuff, I pass... and quick.

Chitterlings are the pigs intestines and maw is the stomach. Both are boiled and seasoned and served with vinegar of your choice - apple, rice or white.

I'll meet for an eat in lunch but only if you agree to try the pigs feet. :lol:

I know what the chitlins are but they didn't sell them in jars at the 7-11.

This should be a forum Friday night gathering.

"Keg Dare Night".

Rael

Supper's Ready

Dang, I'm definitely going to try this place. I make my own oxtail soup, but I'm curious how they make them. Haven't seen anyone around here that had them. Thanks. :yay:

LadyDi

How long have you worked there?

Never. I used to ride the bus to HS and the bus driver's family owned it in the 80's. It's since been taken over and remodeled. I can't work in food as I have severe allergies. Thanks for asking Hank.

LadyDi

Dang, I'm definitely going to try this place. I make my own oxtail soup, but I'm curious how they make them. Haven't seen anyone around here that had them. Thanks. :yay:

They weren't in soup but a clear liquid from the boiling was in the bottom fo the container. Try either Irie Cafe in Brandywine near Safeway or Caribbean Flava Brown at Station Road in Upper Marlboro as they may also carry Oxtails Rael. I'd call and ask. You're welcome!!

LadyDi

I'll meet for an eat in lunch but only if you agree to try the pigs feet. :lol:

I know what the chitlins are but they didn't sell them in jars at the 7-11.

This should be a forum Friday night gathering.

"Keg Dare Night".

Sounds good but I don't know about pigs feet though. I'm partial to them for real. No pigs feet were sold in pickled in jars at 7-11. Haven't looked to see if they still sell them or not. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW