MSA- Saturdays

Amy

Are the open hunter classes on Saturday ( classes 1-3) super crowded and very competitive? I know Saturday has the rated classes and Sunday is more of the schooling day.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Are the open hunter classes on Saturday ( classes 1-3) super crowded and very competitive? I know Saturday has the rated classes and Sunday is more of the schooling day.

I am not sure how many go in that class. It is open to ponies, horses, adults and kids. SO...you never know.

fredsaid2

Saturday was generally much less crowed. I checked the 08 standings, the 2' open hunter div had a total of 28 entries for the season. A number of those probably only came once or twice. Sat and Sun are always competitive, sun is more so.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Saturday was generally much less crowed. I checked the 08 standings, the 2' open hunter div had a total of 28 entries for the season. A number of those probably only came once or twice. Sat and Sun are always competitive, sun is more so.

Which is funny because Sunday is the schooling day.

fredsaid2

Which is funny because Sunday is the schooling day.

It's a schooling show in that it's not rated but it's the main day to accumulate points for the series divisions. You'd be surprised at the value range of the horses you see that day. Some of them do well at the rated shows. Schooling doesn't necessarily mean less competitive.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Amy, you might want to check out the BEST Series (BEST Horse Shows - Home) as well. They have Rated and Open division on both Saturday and Sunday. Also agree with Fred that the Open Show at MSA on Sunday can be even more competitive. Quality horses, without having to pay for the more expensive Rated division on Saturday. With the Rated divisions being "C" rated you don't get as many points as you would for an "A" or "AA" show either.

Last edited:

Amy

Thanks BZ.. I will see if my instructor is coaching that day. I know the barn I take lessons at is going to those shows. Just not sure if the horse I want to ride is available still for those. He was available for the first Sat MSA show so that is why I was curious about the number of entries etc.