St. Mary's Co. Murder Investigation: Suspect Charged: Enterprise Road and N. Essex Drive in Lexington Park

With over 120 years of experience, their team of lawyers and experienced legal support professionals work to help you in a time of legal need.
August 23, 2020

(LEXINGTON PARK, MD) – Maryland State Police are continuing their investigation into the murder of a man who was found shot last night in St. Mary's County.

The victim has been identified as a man in his 30's from Prince George's County. His name is being withheld at this time because family members have not yet been located and notified.

Shortly before 10:30 p.m. yesterday, troopers from the Leonardtown Barrack were dispatched to a call for shots fired in the area of Enterprise Road and N. Essex Drive, in Lexington Park, Md. Upon arrival in the area, they found the victim in a wood line and observed he had sustained what appeared to be multiple gunshot wounds. Troopers and responding St. Mary's County emergency medical services personnel provided emergency care. The victim was transported by ambulance to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital where he was later pronounced deceased.

A perimeter was established around the area, with the assistance of deputies from the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office. Additional state troopers who had been working a crime suppression patrol were already in the area and assisted. The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit responded to conduct the investigation and State Police crime scene technicians responded to conduct evidence collection and scene processing.

During the night, searches of the area were conducted on foot, with K-9 units and with the assistance of a Maryland State Police helicopter. Residents in the area were contacted during a neighborhood canvas by investigators. Information developed during the investigation led to the service of a search warrant at a home in Lexington Park. Several people in that home are currently being interviewed as part of this investigation. After daylight today, investigators conducted an additional search of the crime scene.

The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information about this murder is urged to contact Maryland State Police at the Leonardtown Barrack at 301-475-8955. Callers may remain anonymous.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Suspect Charged In St. Mary's Co. Murder

August 24, 2020

(LEXINGTON PARK, MD) – Maryland State Police have arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a man found shot this past weekend in St. Mary's County.

The suspect is identified as Malachi A. Banks, 18, of Lexington Park, Md. After consultation with the St. Mary's County State's Attorney's Office, State Police investigators have charged Banks with first degree murder and second degree murder. Banks was located early yesterday morning at a residence in the 21000-block of Hancock Drive in Lexington Park. He was taken in for questioning and charged with murder late last night. He is currently being held in the St. Mary's County Detention Center without bond.

The victim has been identified as Dyante L. Battle, 32, of Capitol Heights, Md. An autopsy at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined his manner of death was homicide and the cause was multiple gunshot wounds.

Shortly before 10:30 p.m. on August 22nd, troopers from the Leonardtown Barrack were dispatched to a call for shots fired in the area of Enterprise Road and N. Essex Drive, in Lexington Park, Md. Upon arrival in the area, they found the victim in a wood line and observed he had sustained what appeared to be multiple gunshot wounds. Troopers and responding St. Mary's County emergency medical services personnel provided emergency care. The victim was transported by ambulance to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital where he was later pronounced deceased.

A perimeter was established around the area, with the assistance of deputies from the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office. Additional state troopers who had been working a crime suppression patrol were already in the area and assisted. The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit responded to conduct the investigation and State Police crime scene technicians conducted evidence collection and scene processing.

During the weekend, investigators conducted numerous interviews and served multiple search warrants as part of the investigation. Information and evidence developed during the investigation led to the identification of the suspect as being involved in the murder. A motive remains under investigation. Additional charges are possible. State Police investigators have not ruled out the possibility that others may be involved.

The investigation remains active and ongoing. Anyone with information about this murder is urged to contact Maryland State Police at the Leonardtown Barrack at 301-475-8955. Callers may remain anonymous.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Crime suppression patrol - aka speed trap
MSP likes to camp out where the speed limit drops from 40 to 35. People always miss that as they are rolling down GMR.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
MSP likes to camp out where the speed limit drops from 40 to 35. People always miss that as they are rolling down GMR.
GMR isn't a state road, is it? I thought MSP limited their work to state roads, like 235, and the Sheriff took care of county roads?

BernieP

Resident PIA
GMR isn't a state road, is it? I thought MSP limited their work to state roads, like 235, and the Sheriff took care of county roads?
Trust me, it is and they do. They like to sit on the down slope of the hill after the Ford Dealership, somewhere along that area where the speed limit changes. Catch people who forget to slow down or those the accelerate too early,

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Trust me, it is and they do. They like to sit on the down slope of the hill after the Ford Dealership, somewhere along that area where the speed limit changes. Catch people who forget to slow down or those the accelerate too early,
I've been caught right there for just that reason, but it was a sheriff that got me, not state, which is why I questioned it.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've been caught right there for just that reason, but it was a sheriff that got me, not state, which is why I questioned it.

They mix it up. Take turns, both on 235 and GMR or Chancellors. If the county only ever did county roads, the pickins would be pretty slim.

glhs837

Power with Control

So, I read this, and it's mentioned that some guy were shooting in the backyard......

On Sunday, August 23rd, investigators were able to interview two of Banks brothers, during the interview, one of the brothers stated within days of the murder, he, Malachi, and another male (who he named) were out shooting guns in the backyard of their home on Hancock Drive. He described the gun Malachi was shooting as being a smaller gun.

I present Hancock Drive......

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...f3512898f9fe78a!8m2!3d38.263214!4d-76.4661678

How in the everloving hell do you shoot there without the police coming to pay a visit?

glhs837

Power with Control
Because nobody calls it in

And the obvious question is why not, they seem to call on everybody else.......and the obvious answer is that everybody in that hood, which I lived in for three years when my kids were in LPES and has gotten worse, I suspect, know where the dangerous animals live and are araid to call. Which sort of sums up the national problem.

BernieP

Resident PIA
And the obvious question is why not, they seem to call on everybody else.......and the obvious answer is that everybody in that hood, which I lived in for three years when my kids were in LPES and has gotten worse, I suspect, know where the dangerous animals live and are araid to call. Which sort of sums up the national problem.
Afraid or don't want to rat out a relative.
Of course in this case his father and brother ratted him out - "I was home", "Ah, no he was not"

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmmm, this wont end well, if I owned a business on GMR, I might pack in some plywood and screws.....