Mushrooms?

jenni4

Yay me!
How is the Mushroom hunting in southern maryland, specifically St.Mary and Calvert counties? Are the mushrooms decent or should I not bother? Morels? If there is good mushroom hunting here then when does the season typically start in Maryland?

Xaquin44

there are some orange slimy looking ones on a couple trees outside my house!

25.00 for them.

cash only

Novus Collectus

Oh really?

:killingme I'm talking about edible wild mushrooms such as morels or oyster mushrooms. not "psychedelic" mushrooms

I do not know what they look like and I would hate to pick the wrong ones, so for safety's sake, I don't suppose you could teach me which ones not to pick because they are psychadelic. :wink:

Bonehead

I don't recall anyone ever gathering wild mushroms in this area, maybe there is not enough loam or the soil is too acidic. The only place I ever see them is in someones yard and I m sure they are not edible.

jrt_ms1995

I don't recall anyone ever gathering wild mushroms in this area, maybe there is not enough loam or the soil is too acidic. The only place I ever see them is in someones yard and I m sure they are not edible.

Don't be too sure of that. I've eaten puffballs harvested from my parents' lawn. But I've never really searched for wild mushrooms since moving to MD. And if you see some wild woman stop her car and run into your yard to kick over any mushrooms growing there, it's likely my wife; she just loves to kick them over.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

My SO's family does it all the time. Just got know which ones are ok.

S

Sindy

I'm from the mid-west and went hunting for a few years in somd and did'nt find anything. Even googled to see if morels are in this area and we are just outside of the geographical areas where they can be found. AK-47me, does your family members find any morels in southern maryland? Or are they getting other types of mushrooms? I would be really interested if they are in fact down here.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I'm from the mid-west and went hunting for a few years in somd and did'nt find anything. Even googled to see if morels are in this area and we are just outside of the geographical areas where they can be found. AK-47me, does your family members find any morels in southern maryland? Or are they getting other types of mushrooms? I would be really interested if they are in fact down here.

Wish I could help you out, but I don't know that information right now. I'll try to ask next time I see her family.

Sparx

Last spring I found one yellow sponge in my front yard in Calvert but it was only one and I think the spore came from the mulch in the flowerbed. I've hunted them in OH and MI in the past. SOMD is not known for Morels. I read in the Wash Post last year was a great year just as far north as Rock Creek Park in DC. There is a Washington area micological (sp?) association on the web with a lot of good info.

H

HouseCat

Ah, this brings back memories of Mom frying up some morels...those things are good! We used to live in Indiana. After a good rain, and in certain parts of our farm where there was considerable tree coverage and mossy/saturated ground, morels grew rampant. There are similar areas around here where one would think they would flourish given the right humidity/rain, etc. But, like Bonehead said, the pH of the soil here is very acidic and might thwart growth. Still...never know.

The Battle Creek area of Calvert Co. looks like swamp thing lives in there...I don't see how that place wouldn't be overrun with them in the spring...a shame. Morels are tasty.

jenni4

Yay me!
darn.... Maybe Ill make take a vacation back home to Indiana to visit my old morel hunting grounds.... Nah... Morels aren't worth having to deal with family so soon after christmas. I'll just do some shed hunting instead.

jjay2518

Don't be too sure of that. I've eaten puffballs harvested from my parents' lawn. But I've never really searched for wild mushrooms since moving to MD. And if you see some wild woman stop her car and run into your yard to kick over any mushrooms growing there, it's likely my wife; she just loves to kick them over.

lol, I used to love kicking mushrooms over.