Musician Jeff Beck dead at 78 following sudden illness

BOP

Jeff Beck, the British guitar phenom who rose to fame with The Yardbirds, died Tuesday. He was 78.

“On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share the news of Jeff Beck’s passing. After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday,” his family said in a statement posted Wednesday on Twitter.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I got to see him on a double bill with Robin Trower in Burlington when I was going to college in Vermont in the late 70's.
Great guitar player, and a gent from what I saw of his life.

Last edited:

22AcaciaAve

Jeff Beck never attained the commercial success or popularity of some his contemporaries from the 60's but he is widely considered one of the most influential guitar players in history. His sound influenced a lot of people in classic rock and later heavy metal circles. He played in the Yardbirds which also featured Jimmy Page before Page formed Led Zeppelin, and the lead singer of his later band, the Jeff Beck group, was Rod Stewart. RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOP

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I call them fossil rock
CWiIdfoU8AAta6q.jpg

• Haha

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Sudden Illness, Died Suddenly, Unexpected Death...

Remember the good ole days, before Covid Vaccines, when Rockers died of crashes, accidents and overdoses?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Was this guy really that iconic that he warrants his own death notice thread? It's not like he's on music's Mt. Rushmore. He's more like the biggest ball of twine road oddity level musician.

It would be interesting to see where the bar is set these days. Christine McVie hovers right around the bar IMO.

Grumpy

Was this guy really that iconic that he warrants his own death notice thread? It's not like he's on music's Mt. Rushmore. He's more like the biggest ball of twine road oddity level musician.

It would be interesting to see where the bar is set these days. Christine McVie hovers right around the bar IMO.
I think its a matter of longevity more than anything else..Mid-60s to mid-70s he was a pretty big name, starting with the Yardbirds, then his band The Jeff Beck Group. I believe he was always in the top 10 lists of guitarists back in the day.

HemiHauler

Outside of the Yardbirds, few people know of Jeff Beck. Many males who got a guitar for Christmas in 10th grade and didn’t touch it after 6 months think he’s a god. His solo material was not mainstream at all. It’s a weird fusion of modern jazz and progressive rock, with occasional hints of a pentatonic blues underpinning. It’s certainly not everyone’s brand of vodka, but many can immediately recognize his playing as other-worldly. He was truly a master of that instrument.

The only names that comes close that folks might know is Steve Morse, Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen.

Anyway, the one thing that sticks out about Jeff is that I had been listening to his records for years before I saw him live. I thought for sure that he ran guitar output through a synth of some sort that he could control with a foot pedal for some of those other-worldly sounds that came out of the PA.

NOPE. All sounds that came out of that guitar were made by his hands, at least from what I could see.

Anyway, check out his live album recorded at Ronnie Scott’s club in London. I never buy live albums, but this one is one of my favorite records of all time.

HemiHauler

Sudden Illness, Died Suddenly, Unexpected Death...

Remember the good ole days, before Covid Vaccines, when Rockers died of crashes, accidents and overdoses?

Turns out people can die pretty damn quickly from bacterial Meningitis if not caught and treated immediately, you dope.

SamSpade

When I was growing up, it was understood that the best guitarists of all time were, in no particular order, Page, Hendrix, Clapton and Beck.

It's probably indicative of my age - although Rolling Stone tends to agree with me -
but had I lived earlier, it might have been Berry, Les Paul and BB King.
Younger, it might have been Slash and Eddie Van Halen.

But Beck is in almost everyone's top FIVE at least.