MVA and turning in plates

SamSpade

If I want to just turn in plates - for a car I've sold - do I have to go to Loveville - or can I do it at one of their Express type places? (like a tag and title place)?

SamSpade

Don't cancel your insurance on that vehicle until you personally turn in the tags at MVA or get a receipt that MVA has received them (for mail in).

This is for a relative that cannot get out due to COVID. I have their plates and a title.
I assume that's all I need?

Can I mail just that, or must I appear in person?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Can I mail just that, or must I appear in person?
Yes.

From MVA site -
How should I return my license plates?

You can return license plates in any of the following ways:
  • Return them in person to any MVA branch office, including express offices.
  • Return them to any MVA authorized tag and title service.
  • Drop them in one of the MVA license plate return drop boxes. Currently, drop boxes with 24 hour access are located at the Baltimore City, Columbia, Gaithersburg, Glen Burnie, Salisbury, Walnut Hill and Westminster offices.
  • Mail them to the Glen Burnie MVA office. Sending them by certified mail with return receipt requested is recommended.

Note: When you return the license plates, always include your registration card.

WARNING: Do not cancel your insurance until you are sure that the MVA has received your license plates. Failure to do so could result in a large fine.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Thanks.

I actually found that site, but only after I switched search engine BACK to Google.
I try to avoid Google - but I can't dismiss the fact it's better at finding what I want.
And since MVA is by appointment only the tag and title place might be your best option, unless you want to mail, return receipt requested.

SandieGarry

When I turned my plates in a few weeks ago, there was a gentleman standing outside of the MVA, asking everyone what they needed to do. Since we were turning in plates, he took them, went inside and came back a few minutes later with our receipt. We have already received our partial refund. It took longer to drive there then it did to conduct business.