MVA insurance lapse fine

basshawg95

about 18 months ago, while unemployed, my truck blew its motor. i had it towed to a local shop, where it sat for almost a year.
during that time, i let the insurance lapse, but did not turn the tags in. its fixed now, and i have insurance on it.i never drove it without insurance. now i'm faced with a hefty fine i have to pay before i can renew my tags.
my question is this: has anyone on this forum fought the fine? if so, how? does MVA ever offer amnesty on these fines?
any helpful suggestions would be appreciated......

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
about 18 months ago, while unemployed, my truck blew its motor. i had it towed to a local shop, where it sat for almost a year.
during that time, i let the insurance lapse, but did not turn the tags in. its fixed now, and i have insurance on it.i never drove it without insurance. now i'm faced with a hefty fine i have to pay before i can renew my tags.
my question is this: has anyone on this forum fought the fine? if so, how? does MVA ever offer amnesty on these fines?

Ouch, how bad is the fine here in MD? In NY, it's $10 per day for each day you have the tags with no insurance. I used to work in insurance and I can't even tell you how many people cried because they couldn't afford the huge fine. I doubt fighting the fine will work, it's a money maker for MVA. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask them if there's any way you could provide proof your vehicle was inoperable but if they're like NY, they won't care what reason you give. Did they ever send you letters to turn in the tags? Good luck, I hope someone on here has a better answer than I do for you!

By Maryland law commercial trucks are responsible for carrying insurance on all commercial vehicles EVEN IF they park 'em and pull/turn-in the tags. We have to carry insurance until we prove we have junked the vehicle or sold it.

smibarines

Yep, welcome to the great state of Maryland!

Had a very similar thing happen to me many moons ago when I was but a mere boy. Found out when I went to renew my license and my profile was locked. I fought it hard and all they said they could do was reduce the fine in half. So I paid the $350 and went along my merry way with a new life lesson under my belt. You MIGHT be able to fight it if you can prove that the vehicle was sitting for an extended amouunt of time. I think, at the time, they said if you could get a letter from the shop owner with the dates and such, then they could wave a portion of the fine. Good luck!

thatguy

Wirelessly posted

Back in the day they would give you a break, now I doubt it. Call the MVA and beg plead and promise it will never happen again, but more than likely you are going to be paying the fine.

Catman2

Your best bet might be a trip to Glen Burnie. Sometimes they can help when all other MVA branches just jerk you off. Take all the papers you can get.

mitzi

Amnesty? :killingme No way, they don't care what your situation is. However, they will let you make payment arrangements with a percentage down and make monthly installments. Call them.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If you have a friend that works for an insurance co. they can contact MVA and tell them that you had insurance during that period (IMO).

whatchawant

Don't know if it will help..

I went through that a few years ago, they allowed us to turn in letters from neighbors stating that our vehicle had been parked for a year, and had not moved. The MVA accepted that then, don't know about now. Maybe you could get something in writing from where the vehicle was left...just an idea!

mitzi

If you have a friend that works for an insurance co. they can contact MVA and tell them that you had insurance during that period (IMO).

They can't get away with that. The MVA requires a form called FR19 or something like that.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Sell your truck. Easier, cheaper way.
If it has been sidelined for a year, then you got by without it..so sell it and kiss MVA goodbye!:howdy:

Justme2

That won't help

Sell your truck. Easier, cheaper way.
If it has been sidelined for a year, then you got by without it..so sell it and kiss MVA goodbye!:howdy:

You will not be able to do anything with the MVA till you go about doing something with the fines. The will not flip the title in another person name or anything.
The might not even renew your driver's License. I have heard some horror stories. If you go about it right and take it to MVA hearing appeals court with a certified letter affidavit or the owner of the shop himself you MIGHT get them to reduce the fine but you will not get off totally with out paying them.