MVA Real ID License Renewal

stgislander

PREMO Member
There are stories being published about the issues getting the new Real ID compliant drivers licenses from MVA. Especially people needing to order new Social Security cards. The instructions from MVA state that one can use a W-2 form in lieu of a Social Security card as proof of Social Security. Has anyone tried this and was it successful?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I haven't but wanted to point out another item.... Having the "star" on your license isn't a guarantee that your license is compliant.
People need to follow the link below, type in their license number and it will tell you if your license is compliant with Real ID. There are a lot of licenses that have the star that were issued during 2016 & 2017 and are not compliant.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/realid/realidlookup.htm

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I haven't but wanted to point out another item.... Having the "star" on your license isn't a guarantee that your license is compliant.
People need to follow the link below, type in their license number and it will tell you if your license is compliant with Real ID. There are a lot of licenses that have the star that were issued during 2016 & 2017 and are not compliant.

Thanks. I renewed my license in November of 2017 and it does have the star, but using that site I find it is not compliant.

Thanx for that. I have a star, but apparently my license is non-compliant.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Same here. I'm not sure what happened. I had to take a bunch of documents with me that time with the understanding the my license would be compliant. Even took my DD214 so the Veteran designation would be added. But now, come to find out, I have to go through it again.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Basically, Real ID is a set of federal standards that your license must comply with by October 2020. If it is not in compliance by then, you will not be able to use your license for anything dealing with the federal govt. to include boarding a commercial flight or using it to enter a federal facility, or using it to get/renew a CAC.

Doesn't sound like I really need one. I don't fly, I can't remember the last time I entered a federal facility, and I don't need a CAC.
Same. I use my Passport if I fly. BUT... someone will give you grief eventually about it, so might as well get it done.

glhs837

Power with Control
After a certain point, no boarding aircraft for you. Not commercial ones anyway. Mine used in 2016 isnt compliant, so I set my appointment for early next month.

I have to get my license renewed regardless and the impression I got was that if I don't bring all those documents with me they won't renew it. I'm hoping they accept everything because I have one that might be questionable and I DON'T want to pay $79.00 to get something that will please DMV. It says on their website that they need a government issued (or words to that effect) marriage certificate because the name is different than my birth certificate. To the best of my knowledge, my marriage certificate is an original. It's got a gold seal on it and you can just barely make out Circuit Court of Baltimore City imprinted on it. It's not the normal seal that you get when you ask for a copy - you know the raised imprint. On everything else that I've read they said original or certified copy like birth certificate, on the marriage certificate the site states government issued marriage certificate unless the Baltimore City imprint is government issued? Wish I knew for sure before I go tomorrow.
The gold seal on my marriage certificate dried up and fell off, much like the marriage... I still have it, but pretty sure it can't be used as an official document anymore. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you made out.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm confused. I married in 1995 and legally changed to my married name. I divorced in 2006 and kept my married name. I have a valid passport. Do I still have to provide and marriage and divorce certificates? My drivers license doesn't expire until January 2020. Do I have to renew early?

Also, where is this star that is being spoken of. I don't see one on my license.

uh oh. Does that mean I can't get my license or that I can't get a compliant license? It's $79.00 *ucking dollars to get document quickly.
I wasn't implying yours won't be accepted. Go in and try. Maybe between that and the other forms of ID you have, they'll accept it.

I'm confused. I married in 1995 and legally changed to my married name. I divorced in 2006 and kept my married name. I have a valid passport. Do I still have to provide and marriage and divorce certificates? My drivers license doesn't expire until January 2020. Do I have to renew early?
You can go to the MVA link, enter your driver's license number and they will tell you if you are compliant. If not, they tell you what papers you need to provide to them to become compliant.

If not compliant by 2020, a driver's license though not expired, cannot be used as federal id.

Also, where is this star that is being spoken of. I don't see one on my license.
Follow the link provided, and it outlines exactly whats needed in your case. If you don't have a star, you are not compliant.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You can go to the MVA link, enter your driver's license number and they will tell you if you are compliant. If not, they tell you what papers you need to provide to them to become compliant.

If not compliant by 2020, a driver's license though not expired, cannot be used as federal id.
I'm already looking at that. I don't understand. :bawl: