MVA Real ID License Renewal

MiddleGround

They need to be making people re-take the written, eye, and driving tests with all the accidents happening around here! Last I looked, there were half a dozen in the last 3-4 days! I'd bet that half the people would fail the written miserably if they had to take it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I finally got my stuff squared away yesterday. Was in and out of the Loveville office in 11 minutes.

Reactions: BOP

BOP

Basically, Real ID is a set of federal standards that your license must comply with by October 2020. If it is not in compliance by then, you will not be able to use your license for anything dealing with the federal govt. to include boarding a commercial flight or using it to enter a federal facility, or using it to get/renew a CAC.
So, do illegal aliens - er, undocumented demonrat voters - have to be Real ID compliant in the states that issue them driver's licenses?

Chris0nllyn

That's a good point. Especially since, if someone has a passport, there's no need for a Real ID compliant license.

Given the recent security breaches, I just don't trust Uncle Sam to store all that sensitive data.

Not to mention the FBI's use of facial recognition software using driver's license photos.
Secure driver's licenses and identification documents are a vital component of a holistic national security strategy. Law enforcement must be able to rely on government-issued identification documents and know that the bearer of such a document is who he or she claims to be.

hitchicken

I tried to follow along with entries in this thread. No one has seemed to mention the probability for Identity Theft with this Real ID requirement. That seems to be a lot of identifying documentation to be turning over to an underpaid, overworked DMV employee who might succumb to the temptation to sell it. Too much info available in one place that might be hacked. Seems this is more likely to increase ID theft.

Am I being overly concerned? 'Tin foil hat on.'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Nope .... but with any Gov db that is a risk.

however that was my reasoning for using all 'vehicle related information, beyond the SS # required ....

• Maryland vehicle registration card or title
  • Insurance card or policy

no tax returns or pay stubs or any of the rest of it

black dog

Free America
I tried to follow along with entries in this thread. No one has seemed to mention the probability for Identity Theft with this Real ID requirement. That seems to be a lot of identifying documentation to be turning over to an underpaid, overworked DMV employee who might succumb to the temptation to sell it. Too much info available in one place that might be hacked. Seems this is more likely to increase ID theft.

What Branch of MD MVA does that happen at?

I dunno... are they all overpaid? Does that guarantee they won't succumb?
No different than targeting military or contractor employees, you know, the training we all got every year? Subversives look for people with monetary problems, home issues, known grief with an employer..... and offer them money to sell out. Some do sell out.

awpitt

Main Streeter

You're being overly concerned. When I went to the MVA, the employee just scanned my docs into system and gave them back to me. Very simple.

hitchicken

No different than targeting military or contractor employees, you know, the training we all got every year? Subversives look for people with monetary problems, home issues, known grief with an employer..... and offer them money to sell out. Some do sell out.
Retired for a while. Missed that training. Military and contractors are a smaller segment of the population that the entire general population. Punching another hole (bigger) in the bucket is just increasing the leak. You're making my point.

Retired for a while. Missed that training. Military and contractors are a smaller segment of the population that the entire general population. Punching another hole (bigger) in the bucket is just increasing the leak. You're making my point.
And I'm agreeing with you.

hitchicken

You're being overly concerned. When I went to the MVA, the employee just scanned my docs into system and gave them back to me. Very simple.
I'm not just talking the clerk who took your information. It goes up or down the line and may be available to any DMV employee with a computer.