MVA Real ID License Renewal

frequentflier

happy to be living
Expect to be there less than 30 minutes. My time there was 13 minutes.
I was in and out in probably 13 minutes as well. The place was crazy busy, too! The longest wait was in line to check in.
Once I was back in Calvert, I counted my blessings that I don't have to drive in St May's Co often! Ditto for crossing the bridge. I almost got hit by someone that sped up to the merge and no one would let him in and he squeezed in front of a truck behind me that didn't want to let him in.

Last edited:

catlingirl

Thanks for the idea of making an appt. I got to mine at 11:30 and was out at 11:45. My appt was for 12.. Now to take my husband sometime soon to do it again.

I'm not due until 20-Nov, but have received MANY emails reminding me, and just now got a snail-mail just reiterating the same thing again.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm not due until 20-Nov, but have received MANY emails reminding me, and just now got a snail-mail just reiterating the same thing again.

Okay? So, what are you waiting for? My deadline was Nov 5th. I took care of last month. I made my appointment in mid-June. The earliest available appointment was mid-July. Don't wait until the last minute.

Okay? So, what are you waiting for? My deadline was Nov 5th. I took care of last month. I made my appointment in mid-June. The earliest available appointment was mid-July. Don't wait until the last minute.
Well, I'mSO frikkin proud of you!!!!!

I'll get there when I feel like it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well, I'mSO frikkin proud of you!!!!!

I'll get there when I feel like it.

Get there when you feel like it. Just trying to give you a heads up so you don't get caught in the last minute rush with the rest of the procrastinators.

You're welcome.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Or even simpler, can't prove you're a citizen upon application, ALIEN stamped across it. Can't prove you're here legally, one not issued.
the problem is, for political reasons they won't do that.
I'm beginning to think the powers that be on both sides want it that way for different reasons.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm in with Gilligan, I'm in no freaking rush to take a half day off from work to run up and back to Loveville.
On top of that I don't have a new license, I must have just missed out, not scheduled for renewal until 2025.
So my question is, are they going to now force me to get a new license, and pay for it?
I know those with the new MD license and all only have to bring their paperwork to the MVA.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm in with Gilligan, I'm in no freaking rush to take a half day off from work to run up and back to Loveville.
On top of that I don't have a new license, I must have just missed out, not scheduled for renewal until 2025.
So my question is, are they going to now force me to get a new license, and pay for it?
I know those with the new MD license and all only have to bring their paperwork to the MVA.

My date of expiration is 2025 also. That tells me that you have a license with a star on it (upper right corner) because my license has a star. If that's the case, you just need to bring in the documentation so they can scan it into the database for the Feds. You don't need to take a half day off work in order to do this. If you make an appointment, you'll be in and out of the MVA in less than 15 minutes. That's how it worked for both me and my wife. Just schedule an appoint for late afternoon and leave work a little early. It's really not that difficult.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My date of expiration is 2025 also. That tells me that you have a license with a star on it (upper right corner) because my license has a star. If that's the case, you just need to bring in the documentation so they can scan it into the database for the Feds. You don't need to take a half day off work in order to do this. If you make an appointment, you'll be in and out of the MVA in less than 15 minutes. That's how it worked for both me and my wife. Just schedule an appoint for late afternoon and leave work a little early. It's really not that difficult.
I do not have the new license, no star, the old plain one.
Factor almost an hour each way into that round trip. So it is significantly more time off than 15 minutes, assuming they are running on time.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Thank You for the reminder.
I too am due by Nov.
I will schedule an appointment today, because of your reminder.
Thanks again.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Factor almost an hour each way into that round trip. So it is significantly more time off than 15 minutes, assuming they are running on time.

That's odd. My license was issued Aug 2017. Expires Aug 2025. It has a star so I didn't need to be issued a new license. So, if yours doesn't have a star, you need to be issued a new license. I don't think the cost will be the same as an actual renewal though since you won't be renewing. I think the cost will be $20 which is what it costs to get a replacement license.

As far as the time involved, the MVA can't put a branch on every corner and can't account for where everyone lives and works. I didn't say total time required would be 15 minutes. That's just the time that will be spent at the MVA. As to how far away you live/work from the MVA is not the MVA's problem. Just be glad they have the Loveville office now. Years ago, the choice was Waldorf or Annapolis.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Despite my license needing to be renewed in July 2020, I went ahead and took care of being "in compliance". I will have to pay again to renew in 2020. But additionally, I just got my Commercial DL physical and they no longer fax paperwork in so I was going to have to take certificate there anyways by the end of August. It was worth the $20 to have an appt and not have to wait. And wait. And wait some more!

Tech

From what I can find, you have a valid driver's license till it expires. After a certain date, you will not be able to use it for ID is certain circumstances such as boarding an aircraft. Can not determine if you need to bring it into Real ID compliance when it comes up for renewal.

awpitt

Main Streeter
From what I can find, you have a valid driver's license till it expires. After a certain date, you will not be able to use it for ID is certain circumstances such as boarding an aircraft. Can not determine if you need to bring it into Real ID compliance when it comes up for renewal.

All licenses, regardless of expiration date, have to be Real ID compliant by Oct 1, 2020. The MD MVA is putting non compliant licensees into staggered groups so everyone doesn't procrastinate and try to visit the MVA all at the last minute. Each group has its own due date. In my case it was Nov 5th. If someone does not bring their documents to the MVA by their assigned due date, their license will be "recalled" which means if they get pulled over, the cop will take their license and give them a receipt that will allow them to drive long enough to visit the MVA with their documents and be issued a Real ID compliant license.

Tech

All licenses, regardless of expiration date, have to be Real ID compliant by Oct 1, 2020. The MD MVA is putting non compliant licensees into staggered groups so everyone doesn't procrastinate and try to visit the MVA all at the last minute. Each group has its own due date. In my case it was Nov 5th. If someone does not bring their documents to the MVA by their assigned due date, their license will be "recalled" which means if they get pulled over, the cop will take their license and give them a receipt that will allow them to drive long enough to visit the MVA with their documents and be issued a Real ID compliant license.
The recall only referred to those DL that have been issued under the belief they were Real I'D compliant and are embossed with the star. The taking of the DL by the police is to remove "fake" Real ID cards.
The Oct 2020 date is a separate issue. To use a DL as an ID to board a flight it must be Real ID compliant after that date.
If you have a valid license that is non compliant then you need to bring other ID such as a passport.

awpitt

Main Streeter
The recall only referred to those DL that have been issued under the belief they were Real I'D compliant and are embossed with the star. The taking of the DL by the police is to remove "fake" Real ID cards.
The Oct 2020 date is a separate issue. To use a DL as an ID to board a flight it must be Real ID compliant after that date.
If you have a valid license that is non compliant then you need to bring other ID such as a passport.

Good point. I stand corrected.

Tech

Good point. I stand corrected.
What I haven't found are those who hold the "old" license will need to become compliant on renewal? It would be easier from the state's standpoint, fewer options for MVA to screw up.

Goldenhawk

If you're really a privacy hound or you just want to buck the system, you CAN board an airline without any photo id... if you're prepared for a rather intensive and intrusive screening.

From https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification
Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What I haven't found are those who hold the "old" license will need to become compliant on renewal? It would be easier from the state's standpoint, fewer options for MVA to screw up.

When someone gets the license renewal reminder in the mail, people with Real ID non-compliant licenses will be told that they have to bring the additional documentation in order to renew.
...documents will be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card transaction. If you would like to present documents early and obtain the Secure Maryland Driver’s License or ID card, please CLICK HERE to begin gathering your documents and to schedule an appointment at a MDOT MVA branch office. To obtain a duplicate or corrected Maryland Driver's License or ID card you will need to present documents. A $20 fee will apply.

People with Real ID compliant licenses will be given in option to renew online.
No. Documents will not be needed for your next Maryland Driver's License or ID card transaction. You may be eligible to complete your next transaction online at the MDOT MVA eStore.