My Alma Mater Choked

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Absolutely agree with CDR Salamander. As a (resident) grad, I'm absolutely gob-smacked, absolutely livid.

How can an organization full of people who engage in actual combat show so little spine in the face of the absolute worst organizations in out [sic] country?

Why do we surrender to the heckler's veto?

Hey new active SECDEF and former Army Secretary - get hold of your organization.

--- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I saw a report on that last week. Disgustingly weak behavior..hope someone's career ends over it soon.

Yooper

I saw a report on that last week. Disgustingly weak behavior..hope someone's career ends over it soon.
I saw it last week as well, but waited hoping that I could cite from a military blog (as opposed to a "political" web site).

Yup, the War College's response (at least on Twitter) was - as you say - "disgustingly weak."

I still haven't expressed my disappointment to the leadership at Carlisle as I still am not past the point where I would counsel others not to hit the "send" button. Hoping to be less angry and more professional within the next day or so! But they will hear from me FWIW.

--- End of line (MCP)

officeguy

I do think he would fit better into a panel discussion than a full frontal lecture. His take on muslim history is not exactly mainstream and a lecture sponsored by the war-college would be seen as an unequivocal endorsement of his position by the US government.

Sounds like his contact wasn't aware of the potential political implications of the invite.

Yooper

I do think he would fit better into a panel discussion than a full frontal lecture. His take on muslim history is not exactly mainstream and a lecture sponsored by the war-college would be seen as an unequivocal endorsement of his position by the US government.

Sounds like his contact wasn't aware of the potential political implications of the invite.
Not how the presentations system at the War College works. And we are at war with militant Islam, right? CAIR is a propaganda arm of militant Islam. As such, its voice should not have even been acknowledged.

Whether Ibrahim should have been invited is one question. But he was and the vetting for his invitation was not insignificant. I, for one, would have liked to hear his presentation. He's on our side. I have no interest in hearing anything from CAIR as it isn't (on our side). As such, a total cave on the part of USAWC.

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not how the presentations system at the War College works. And we are at war with militant Islam, right? CAIR is a propaganda arm of militant Islam. As such, its voice should not have even been acknowledged.

We are doomed

officeguy

We also have muslim allies, and ticking them off by endorsing his particular take on the religion is not in the US governments interest. The noise from CAIR may or may not be what sunk this presentation.

Reactions: BOP

Yooper

We also have muslim allies, and ticking them off by endorsing his particular take on the religion is not in the US governments interest. The noise from CAIR may or may not be what sunk this presentation.
True. But this was a lecture on adversarial Islamic militarism, not one against our "allies." I think our "allies" get that and would be able to bite their collective tongues just as we have to sometimes bite ours with their actions.

I'm still inclined to see it as a cave to CAIR, but have to concede you could be correct (not being connected to the USAWC any more other than via the alumni line I can't offer anything to definitively disprove your take and/or prove mine).

Anyway, in some form or fashion this was not one of my alma mater's best moments (whether in the invite or in the wake of the invite).

Have a great weekend!

--- End of line (MCP)